Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Star Trek (New Movie) 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Star Trek (New Movie)
I thought it was pretty good actually. Powerful, action packed, emotional, comical, dramatic, though provoking, great stuff.

Here's been my running theory about why they decided to do this backtrack break with flow and tradition on this one:
Patrick Stewart said he would not do any more Star Trek movies if Nemesis didn't do well in the box office, and it didn't (which I think was unfortunate). Without Patrick Stewart, you really can't do another Next Generation movie, as Picard is the most central character, obviously, and Patrick Stewart the best actor on the cast. Replace him? No, that would result in utter fail because of a) purists, and b) Patrick Stewart owns that role.
They couldn't move on to another series like Deep Space 9 or Voyager or whatever 1) Because its been so long and they hadn't used those guys yet, so the actors and groups have probably moved on anyway by now, and 2) They were never as good nor as popular as the original and TNG (not saying all bad, but not as good, interestingly they were also the ones which Gene Roddenberry had the least to do with as he was dead before they were made).
So, what are your options? Let it die, OR go back and restart the flow, update it and bring it to a new generation. Well, alot of movies have been doing something along those lines lately with great success (the new line of Batman movies, for instance, based off the Dark Knight series).
I think they took a reasonable course of action with this. And I enjoyed the movie alot.

Sat May 30, 2009 4:02 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 11
Level 11

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Re: Star Trek (New Movie)
Seriously, i think it was the best film i've seen this year. It was pretty awesome. I especially liked it because of the Time theory thing. Time travel is so fuckin' awesome if you're into the real physics of it.

Way better than X-Men, which was a disappointment.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:23 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]