Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 CONTRA GRANT ON EXAGGERATED DIFFERENCES 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post CONTRA GRANT ON EXAGGERATED DIFFERENCES
Don't let it make your brain hurt. Or do, you could use some thinking exercises. Probably.

Quote:
What is this “object vs. people” distinction?

It’s pretty relevant. Meta-analyses have shown a very large (d = 1.18) difference in healthy men and women (ie without CAH) in this domain. It’s traditionally summarized as “men are more interested in things and women are more interested in people”. I would flesh out “things” to include both physical objects like machines as well as complex abstract systems; I’d also add in another finding from those same studies that men are more risk-taking and like danger. And I would flesh out “people” to include communities, talking, helping, children, and animals.

So this theory predicts that men will be more likely to choose jobs with objects, machines, systems, and danger; women will be more likely to choose jobs with people, talking, helping, children, and animals.

Somebody armed with this theory could pretty well pretty well predict that women would be interested in going into medicine and law, since both of them involve people, talking, and helping. They would predict that women would dominate veterinary medicine (animals, helping), psychology (people, talking, helping, sometimes children), and education (people, children, helping). Of all the hard sciences, they might expect women to prefer biology (animals). And they might expect men to do best in engineering (objects, machines, abstract systems, sometimes danger) and computer science (machines, abstract systems).
This theory gives everyone what they want. It explains the data about women in tech. It explains the time course around women in tech. It explains other jobs like veterinary medicine where women dominate. It explains which medical subspecialties women will be dominant or underrepresented in. It doesn’t claim that women are “worse than men” or “biologically inferior” at anything. It doesn’t say that no woman will ever be interested in things, or no man ever interested in people. It doesn’t say even that women in tech don’t face a lot of extra harassment (any domain with more men than women will see more potential perpetrators concentrating their harassment concentrated on fewer potential victims, which will result in each woman being more harassed).

It just says that sometimes, in a population-based way that doesn’t necessarily apply to any given woman or any given man, women and men will have some different interests. Which should be pretty obvious to anyone who’s spent more than a few minutes with men or women.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/08/07/contra-grant-on-exaggerated-differences/#comments

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
Post Re: CONTRA GRANT ON EXAGGERATED DIFFERENCES
1942 – Alfredo da Silva, empresário português (n. 1871).

The very image of a king

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
「H A N Z O」 wrote:
1942 – Alfredo da Silva, empresário português (n. 1871).

An interesting counterpoint, but no one care's about his pre-art career. I mean, he was only 7 years old after all.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
Because I'm sleeping, but you're still awake
I'm sleeping, but you're still awake