Videogames have changed. 
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Post Videogames have changed.
Videogames have changed.

It's no longer about art, expression, or fun.

It's not even about the graphics or even gameplay anymore.

Games development, its focus on pay-to-win and microtransactions and its consumption of our cash, has become a well-oiled machine.

Gaming has changed. ID tag gamers play ID tag games on ID tag consoles, use ID tag controllers, playing on TVs that spy on them to sell data to the highest bidder.

Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Gaming has changed.

The age of games as art has become the age of control, all in the name of averting catastrophe from pirating and used games sales.

And the one who controls video games production, controls the living room.

Gaming has changed, when your content is under total control, control becomes routine.

--

Played MGS4 at a friend's place today.

:confused

4 pcs.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Re: Videogames have changed.
YomToxic wrote:
Videogames have changed.

It's no longer about art, expression, or fun.

It's not even about the graphics or even gameplay anymore.

Games development, its focus on pay-to-win and microtransactions and its consumption of our cash, has become a well-oiled machine.

Gaming has changed. ID tag gamers play ID tag games on ID tag consoles, use ID tag controllers, playing on TVs that spy on them to sell data to the highest bidder.

Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Gaming has changed.

The age of games as art has become the age of control, all in the name of averting catastrophe from pirating and used games sales.

And the one who controls video games production, controls the living room.

Gaming has changed, when your content is under total control, control becomes routine.

--

Played MGS4 at a friend's place today.

:confused

And thats why I'm making Project Bane (teh MMO project) when it's finished it will utterly obliterate that well oiled machine in a single legendary swipe of the sword of Damocles!
*SLLLLLLLICE!!*

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
This pretty much sums up my experiences with the MMOs I've played. I pay, I get things, I lose to the people who paid more to get more/better things. I pay more, I get more/better things, I lose to the people who paid even more than that. I play a different game, lather, rinse, and repeat. Was not fun, and it felt like a chore if I paid and it felt like a chore even when I didn't pay. Q___Q

Can't wait to see the finalized version of Project Bane tho. It sounds like teh kewlz. :O

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
FH games in general - I hope to remove money from the equation completely.

4 pcs.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:07 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
in project bane everything will be achievable without paying, people will get freebies of all sorts. and the lowest subscription is planned for a $1 price lol.

games like that have to make some money to cover costs but they shouldn't focus on getting money but rather supplying game-play, stories and such.

indeed FH games are this way, we like to give our games teh replay values.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:35 am
Profile E-mail
Level 35
Level 35

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Registered users
row row fight the powa!

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
That's mobile games.

But yeah... torrenting exists for a reason.

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:16 am
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
joshex wrote:
in project bane everything will be achievable without paying, people will get freebies of all sorts. and the lowest subscription is planned for a $1 price lol.

You should change 'subscription' to 'voluntary donation used to pay for the servers upkeep'.

4 pcs.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
FH Clairvoyant
FH Clairvoyant

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Videogames always had money taged to the genre - otherwise no one would want to make and sell them.
What you're talking about is Pay2Win system developed recently where it's true that you have to pay to be awesome.
Such abomination was developed exactly because of torrenting and cracking games - as SELLING your product was the main source of income (and probably still is) for most of game developing studios.
But, as cracking and sharing progresses, it becomes less profitable since each download means losing one potential costumer, thus some greedy, or perhaps wanting to be paid for their work (get the sarcasm?), bastards created pay2win system.

Profesional games were always about money but it's actually the gamers fault that new ways of squshing money out of their pockets (instead of simply buying the game at store) are beeing developed.

Even if you're dedicated to making something incredible and showing your work to others - you still need money for distiribution, time and work, advertisement etc. so if people aren't willing to pay headsup for it, you incorporate paying system into the game. Genius! But... results may vary. (-_-)
Some MMO (and not only them) did it at least partially right.
Blizzard in World of Warcraft took it to extreme and anyone who plays has to pay just like a rent, but it doesn't influence the gameplay so it's not as bad.
In World of Tanks Wargaming gave premium machines for real money but machines themselves arent's any better than standard ones (if not worse), but tank fanatics of just dedicated players would still purchuase so it's still not as bad.
Steam. Famous DLC expations that make the game playable of at least more enjoyfull.
The worst are the companies that make it the real pay2win, like endgame gear / special moves / OP skills / Automatic leveling up / locations or dungeons (in short -not only visual features) are for the purchuase.

Video to sum it up:

Link

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:14 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
Pay2win/Pay2Customize comes from mmorpgs that were to shitty too become pay2play, but they needed to make money somehow. It has absolutely nothing to do with piracy, and more to do with trying to keep a dying shitty game alive. In eastern countries, an alternative to this has been to simply put ads to cover 10% of the screen, and paying for it to be removed.

DLCs come from simply greedy game publishers that realized that their players are complete suckers. It did not work before because of the costs of publishing these DLCs as individual CDs/DVDs was too expensive, but now that they can distribute them easily over steam (this is why I never liked steam) or other tools, they can cash in from small frequent updates rather than releasing massive expansions, and because people are retarded and will be all skeptical about buying an expansion pack if it costs 5 dollars too much. But buying 20 DLCs covering about as much as 1 expansion pack would have content-wise, for the price of 5 expansion packs doesn't bother them, because at the time of each new DLC "just a few dollars" was no big deal to them. Yet another thing that literally has nothing to do with piracy.

And let's cut the crap for a moment. We've all downloaded games, but in the end, did we not decide to buy the games, or their sequels/expansions?

Everyone buys games, it's just that all these high "statistics" of people downloading games make up a big lie. A vast majority of those statistics are from people who tried the game out, and then bought it, but it LOOKS like they're all a bunch of people who don't give a shit about paying for games, when in reality most of them either already had a copy, or wanted to try the game out to see if it was worth my money.

After having wasted my money on Starcraft 2, Diablo III, and some shitty MMORPGs that I played for 1 week and then said "fuck it", I am never buying a game EVER again without downloading it and trying out first.

Oh, and once People have lost interest enough in World of Warcraft, I know that they'll turn their server into Free2Play, Pay2Customize to keep the game alive for at least a few more years, or until they've made a new MMORPG with advanced new graphics and hopefully a better gameplay mechanic than clicking and hitting all your number keys.

As for your privacy. You all sold your souls to the devlis when you started taking stupid "what celebrity are you?" quizes on facebook.
People need to care more about their privacy, but because gaming is mainstream now, the retarded computer illiterates who don't understand the implications of sharing their nudes online, start ruling the market.

We still have the old style of games made by geeks, and for geeks. We just have to find them under this constant shit spewing of games made for teenaged girls and edgy 12 year old boys.

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:18 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Clairvoyant
FH Clairvoyant

Cash on hand:

Bank:
As much as the above commentary cannot be denied I'd still stanby my opinion that piracy is also a major factor, even if it's not entirely true - I know it, you know it, everyone form the consumer end of the rope may know it, but big companies rely on the statistics.

But you may be right on one thing, we may have missed the point. Games as any other type of media changes according to times, demands and characteristics of the consumers. In old days games were made by geeks and for geeks cause geeks were the only ones that would be interested enough in it.
Now we have a wide variety of consumers, big companies, and so the marked is accomodating to it.
I think that simillar methamorphozis, or constant change is with the music and especially popular music videoclips. Time I've spent in cheap bars and restaurants constantly playing on wide screen some music channels I can tell there's a lot of simillarity.

I think Yoms opinion is narrowed by his perspective. Majority of gmes (taking the money part out) are still about fun, art and expression - it's just that all these features are very relative depending on the types of consumers. So they aren't lost, they just changed their forms to fit the new generations of gamers. Wome may be displeased with it's current state as they are no longer part of the majority of consumers. Thus major part of the current market doesn't answer their needs.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 35
Level 35

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Registered users
The gaming industry as of late has been a huge joke. It's all about money. They can release a game and have so many pre-orders already set that it doesn't even matter if the fucking thing works. Look at the master chief collection. Something with that much of a pedigree should not have been that much of a fuck-up. The current console generation is also a huge joke. Seems like companies don't care to do quality checks because people still seem to buy regardless. Until filthy casuals pull their heads out of their asses this kind of shit will continue to happen. Games will continue to ship as buggy fucking messes and they will continue to bombard everything with dlc bullshit. Today I saw that another game was announced. It didn't even matter what game it was, I was pissed off. I'm not even excited by anything anymore because I'm so bitter that so many things could go wrong. I expect that 30% of the time a game will go years without ever coming to fruition (FFXV, last guardian). I expect 100% of the time to see a huge graphics drop. I expect pre-order/console exclusive locked content. I plan to wait on any games I do think look interesting for the game breaking bugs to be tweaked (which lately has taken much longer or simply seems to never occur). IDK I'm just really frustrated with the current state of the industry.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Glitchy
Glitchy

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: פlᴉʇɔɥʎ¿¡Crime Squad
Sick and tired of bugs and glitches? Want to play a STABLE* and WORKING* game!?

Well, look no further! We, the developers, are hard at work at bringing you this EXCLUSIVE** PRE-ORDER CONTENT!

For the low, low price of only $29.99 USD, you'll have EXCLUSIVE** access to our OFFICIAL PATCH!

Our patch is guaranteed to fix at least HALF of the known bugs in the game! But that's not all! We're dedicated to giving you the most enjoyable experience possible from our game, and are hard at work at creating ANOTHER DLC PATCH! Expected to be available within the next 6 months, you can be sure that you'll have the ULTIMATE GAMING EXPERIENCE!!!

No longer will you have to work with unreliable third party patches!*** We'll give you WORKING* content that you can trust!

PRE-ORDER THE DOUBLE-PATCH BUNDLE NOW AND GET 10% OFF! At 53.99, that's HUGE SAVINGS!

PRE-ORDER NOW!!!

*As far as we know.
**Only exclusive for two weeks after release.
***All hosts of third-party patches are immediately ordered to cease and desist, removing all patches and related content immediately.

Oh fuck off

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:27 am
Profile E-mail
Level 25
Level 25

Cash on hand:
Group: Їи$aиїту
This has happened to virtually every creative industry. Thing with interactive media though is there is more ways to blatantly shoehorn stuff like that in.

¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$
¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:00 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 25
Level 25

Cash on hand:
Group: Їи$aиїту
which is why i only play old games from roms on emulators or indie games.

¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$
¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$¥£$

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.