Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 I hear portland has plenty of good ISPs 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post I hear portland has plenty of good ISPs
I hear there are several competing gigabit internet ISPs, good prices and options everywhere. I also hear it's a fairly well planned city, and looks less expensive than around here. Anyone from the portland area? Anyone with some thoughts on portland or know of other similar cities with good internet and good times?

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:55 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Registered users
Post Re: I hear portland has plenty of good ISPs
i have no idea about portland but Baker louisiana had good internet (don't know if it still does)

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:02 am
Profile E-mail
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
I fapped to a Portland model once.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:32 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
arch_enemy wrote:
i have no idea about portland but Baker louisiana had good internet (don't know if it still does)

Looks like the best they can do is COX "up to 150 down 20 up".
That's not very good for a max, especially since "up to" is a bad flag, and they start at $80 for whatever is the lowest tier.

Here, I can get 50 down AND 50 up, and that's the actual speeds I am likely to get (actually, I'm likely to get FASTER than advertised speeds) with decent latency and reliability. And that's for $50 right now (and includes some TV stuff I don't care about and free HBO and Showtime thrown in at the $50 price without a contract). That's also the lowest tier, it goes much higher without huge price increases.

But, that's all nothing compared to Gigabit internet. We're talking 1000 (Mbps) down and up. And that's at $80 bundled with some providers in Oregon that I saw, and looks like the competition there is driving in faster than that too, and not just to businesses.

I hear some random town in Tennessee got residential 10 Gig, which they didn't really expect anyone to need yet, so that was interesting and run by their local government (which I have mixed feelings about). But who wants to live in Tennessee?

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:04 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Why is Portland suddenly the mecca of nerdom? It's in Oregon! The second worst state! °дº

I would live in a shack for 10 Gbps symmetrical.

I live in Colorado Springs and have 105/20 Mbps for $63 and change.

In just under one-thousand eight-bit bytes I have to confer some glorious shrine to myself by means of text, images, hyper links, embeded flash compositions and possibly formatting. I could abuse this easily. Ten hour clips on youtube embeded in a single vertical stack. Multi-megapixel long transparent GIFs causing scrollbar hell. Nuero-linguistic programs that fuck your mind like a fresh squid. Eye raping color schemes using ascii full-width blocks. Images or links to images of things that can not be unseen. Anything called "epilepsy" dot SWF. This is what I want to do. I am not a good person. I just know that would be a flagrant display of disrespect. I'll wait until I can get away with it.
NOW IN GLORIOUS TODD A.O.!
fluffco™ LLC takes no responsibility for anything, ever, at all, under any circumstances and is entirely fictional outside Colorado.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 am
Profile E-mail
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Been here all my life! Portland is a really awesome place.The pace of gentrification in old neighborhoods pretty silly, but otherwise, the rent is extremely affordable, and the music scene is super great.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 am
Profile E-mail
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
Seoul, South Korea.

The very image of a king

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
goshdang wrote:
gentrification

This post is to certify that on this day the twenty-second of February in the year of our lord 2016 fluffy hereby awards goshdang with due hatred and malice in accordance with the customs and traditions of Forkheads. goshdang's actions reflect great shame and disappointment from the internet, the world wide web and the Forkheads forum.

In just under one-thousand eight-bit bytes I have to confer some glorious shrine to myself by means of text, images, hyper links, embeded flash compositions and possibly formatting. I could abuse this easily. Ten hour clips on youtube embeded in a single vertical stack. Multi-megapixel long transparent GIFs causing scrollbar hell. Nuero-linguistic programs that fuck your mind like a fresh squid. Eye raping color schemes using ascii full-width blocks. Images or links to images of things that can not be unseen. Anything called "epilepsy" dot SWF. This is what I want to do. I am not a good person. I just know that would be a flagrant display of disrespect. I'll wait until I can get away with it.
fluffco™ LLC takes no responsibility for anything, ever, at all, under any circumstances and is entirely fictional outside Colorado.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Portland has been a decent case study in proper Urban Planning for some time, but aside from that they've somehow managed to do well by internet service (seemingly simply by not dishing out government enforced monopolies). It's also a decent spot between the tech centers of the Seattle area in the north and Silicon Valley in the south, but that's a bit misleading as the distances are greater than that between pretty much all the East Coast cities so...

All the computer kids from the 80s and 90s decided to finish Oregon Trail?

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
All the computer kids from the 80s and 90s decided to finish Oregon Trail?

I accept this as gospel and shall treat it as the undisputed facts of Portlandism.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]