Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Should I get rid of this thing?
Here are the specs of the thing:

Pentium 3 1 GHZ
512 mb pc 133 SD-RAM
3 IDE hard drives (5 GB, 2 GB, 2GB) Windows 2000 SP4 (thinking replacing all those drives with one 20 GB I found)
A random IDE CD-ROM drive
32 MB AGP Video card

Well, it works okay, but since those hard drives are so small I have to keep moving my temp enviroment variables around. And well, those drives are what I could salvage off a computer from the trash. I'm not buying new hardware for this thing. So everytime something fails I just swap out parts, kind of sick of it.

Hint: I use my computer for basic things, watching anime, typing on forums, chating, writing documents/spreadsheets. I think I already know the answer, though Id like your input as well. These could be suggestions of operating systems, cheap hardware. Most of the software I use I can get on Linux (mostly what's stopping me from jumping onto Linux is mostly it's hard to get drivers for hardware to work with it)

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:27 am
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Post Re: Should I get rid of this thing?
Yes.
Even though you don't do much like gaming and what not, You will be able to open more processes at one time. You would be able to game even.

And on the hard drive not.
Can anyone say, Torrenting anime?

With bigger harddrives you will be able to live your wildest anime dreams.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
I get most of my anime from Bittorrent. Though even if I had bigger hard drives, my anime consumption would be about the same. Since Anime is just geting boring.

Id probably do gaming some more... Though the only game Id be interested in is Sim City 4 or societies. Other than that I'm totally ignorant of PC games in general.

I'm thinking FPS's are where it's at in PC gaming these days (sort of like it has for years) My favorite video games are on the console systems, things like RPG's like Final Fantasy, though like anime those are geting fucking boring. I think I get more entertainment from typing messages on Forkheads that no one cares about than anime and video games these days.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:38 pm
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Well just think.
With more ram you could have 5-6 (firefox) tabs open at once.
Probably more.
How many can you open now without lagging?

Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
7. Though I ussually only have two going at once. When I'm reading stuff I'll middle click a link to open it in a tab and then close the tab. The only time I experience considerable lag is when I'm connected to a big swarm in bittorrent.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:26 pm
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Alright, well, the general techie answer is: No, don't get rid of it. Pentium 3 1GHz? Lots you can do with that actually, as long as you aren't looking to make it your main thing, I'd say. Eventually the stuff will actually die, but milk it till its fried I say.

First thing I would do (and yes, I know I recommend this anyway, but on systems like this its an extreme advantage), change that OS to a linux distro. When was the last time you used a linux distro? Most should work out of the box on a system like that, and driver support is increasingly good even with newer equipment for linux. Even for gaming purposes, since nVidia now makes their own linux drivers + graphics adjustment software for linux, and many OSes, like Ubuntu, recognize this and use those drivers from the start (at least with the newer versions).
Now, even at that setup, you should be able to get some current linux distros running great on it. You could try and use an older one if things are a little iffy or slow, or if you were considering Ubuntu you could try Xubuntu which is designed for older/lower end systems.
Beyond that, it could probably do well with something like ChromeOS or g.ho.st, since those would store most the stuff you need online rather than on your computer, thus not requiring much from your end (their made for things like netbooks anyway, which are not intensive either).
Otherwise there are lots of stuff you could do with that. Turn it into a small file server. A test machine for various things (depending on how much tech stuff you do you'll know what to use it for). Host a simple website from it, etc. A larger hard drive would be nice, but the 5GB one would be enough to handle the various OSes you would have, then the others can host whatever else. Possibilities are endless.

Also, to note, I would say RTS and MMOs are the big deals on PC gaming these days. FPS is usually more a console thing right now, but there is plenty computers too I guess. Several good ones you can get for linux too for all those departments, though maybe better FPS than the others.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:07 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Expert Cumsniffer
Expert Cumsniffer

Cash on hand:
The last time I used a linux distro was 7 years ago in 2001. My dad found a copy of Corel linux at a yard sale for a dollar. I loaded it up and the only driver it had was the video card. There was no way to get on the internet (no drivers for ethernet card). I was really giddy and tend to jump into things too prematurely (Plus I didnt have the skills I do today) One thing that I thought was really cool is it rendered jpeg images with less pixels. Based on the limited experience I had atleast with that distribution it seemed to be more stable and managed memory better, atleast compared to Windows 98, which was the primary OS of that computer I tried it on.

Though by what I herd this may have changed, linux is way easier to use. I have a book about Fedora Core and it has the OS on a DVD-ROM, the DVD-ROM is bootable, I popped it into a Dell before and it does boot from the DVD-ROM, though I havnt had access to a computer with a DVD-rom or one I was allowed to format. I have one now, Though Fedora seems to be way too memory hungry when I read the first part of the book about instalation of the OS. It seems I'm going to have to have more than 512 mb of memory to get out of text mode. Which is silly. Though then again, it's been awhile since I read that book so my memory might be swapping things around. Though I remember it sounded ridicules. I think I'm gonna dig up that book again when I find a DVD-rom somewhere...

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:09 am
Level 35
Level 35

Cash on hand:

Bank:
This topic is probably dead, but nonetheless full of win. That is kind of sweet. Keep your system. Use it for as long as it suits your purposes. If the drives piss you off switch em out, otherwise deal with it. Go Linux, It should definitely be better than you experienced, unless you are fine with what you have now then keep it. When everything dies use it as suggested for back-up or projects. When it is completely dead see if you can sell/giveaway/recycle usable components you don't want.

In 2011 FPS rules the world. Kind of gay, I need a bit of variety in my gaming. RTS is still prevalent as far as PC. MMO's will probably always be.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]