Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 39  Next
 Chronicles of Jungalore: Rise of Dragons 
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Post Re: Jungalore: The New World [Main RP Thread]
They had really put their act together. The old castle, once with a gaping hole still being mended from the fight before had almost overnight become a glimmering white stronghold, plated with marble and lined with iron and steel platings below.

Turning from a backwoods port town to a new capital of the world was a miracle, but it was made possible by the many who had managed to flee the event now known as the 'fall of Cyndar', and even some people who had managed to swim through the polluted ocean in nothing but their skivvies. Wise move, he considered - that the waters were slick and oily with blood, and any fool wearing more than the simplest gowns would drown under that stuff.

"Armor can be replaced, but a life?"

After the tour of the castle and meeting with his adopted nephew who was now growing rapidly in his tank of fresh water - "Sourced from Avalon's springs", Philena had said. He shot a wry grin and a thumbs-up to the child and the infant Meridian flapped his lateral headfins in response.

"Huh. He likes you already." Philena grinned. "You keep this up and people will start thinking you're the King Consort... then again, you did raise quite the row back when we met..."

"I'm probably the first person he saw when I managed to pop him outta you, Phi-chan... King Consort?"

"Look it up sometime." she chuckled dangerously, before changing the subject. "Say, the old place was wrecked by the floodwaters. Do you have a place to stay?"

"Not really."

"Then, feel free to stay in the guest rooms as long as you like."

He gave her a polite bow. "Thank you, my Queen."

At this, she smiled. "Just so you know, we're still tied 2-2. Now that I have access to a real kitchen, I wont lose to you!"

"Bring it on, my rival." Yemhelch smiled as he settled into a sparring stance.

-

Sleep. Perhaps that was what he needed. Settling down on the soft feather and quilt mattress of the bed, he sighed as his long day came to an end. At last, the cool night air lulled him to rest and the stars twinkled brightly, as if all was well with the world.

Just then, he felt himself falling and the bed shrinking from view - and the last thing he saw was the small dragon growing smaller and smaller, as if he was on a rapidly departing boat - a quizzical stare dancing on its face.

"Oh" he mumbled.

-

"So, as I was saying, I got good news and bad news." a familiar voice said. "So, what'll it be?"

He opened his eyes and realized he was back at the edge of the Abyss. Shaking off the sleep from his head, he turned to look at his counterpart, now sporting a large scar running down his shoulder.

4 pcs.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
((Oh, and since I didn't mention it before, those wishing to join now can simply fill in the sheet up to the beginning of the stats. Literally, just your class, race, gender, name, age, and appearance. Nothing else matters as of right now.

DMs or GMs, whichever name you prefer, will make the call on legendary items and progression.))

Eiryk arrived swiftly in Selk. He waved to King Ortza of the Elvine who flew off hurriedly. No time to spare, he made his way to the palace. To say the layout was large would be an understatement.

Once more, he found himself meeting with Scorpio, or, rather, Scorpio meeting with him, as he wandered, lost and unsure, and the assassin leader finding him through his stalking methods.

"Eiryk, you are wandering about aimlessly. Just what are you searching so fervently for?" He asked. Eiryk turned to the man, startled by his sudden appearance.

"I found some crucial info that the queen would need to assist me with..."

"The queen?" Scorpio asked, and Eiryk gave a nod.

"Exactly! I spoke to the native people of the Demeter Isles, their goddess knows how to save this world! It has to do with the goddess of water." He explained.

Scorpio furrowed his brow in thought.

"Please," Eiryk began again, "I need to reach New Meridia!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eiryk wouldn't get to sit with the queen, but instead, Captain Altans and Sam Bellamy made their way to the palace's meeting hall. Two meridians when he required only one.

"So," Bellamy spoke first, "ye want to visit the sunken city, is that correct lad?"

"Yes sir." Eiryk responded.

Altans shook his head, "Eiryk... New Meridia lies beneath the cursed oceans. Even we of the Mer cannot sustain breath while in them. We would drown."

"Drown?" Eiryk wondered, "But... Fish can breath under the waters."

"Not exactly kiddo," Bellamy responded, "See, we have gills, aye? In water, it filters out the whole water aspect and gives us air. In truth, we can only sustain breath for about six hours in fresh water, and three hours in salt water. This cursed sea, however..."

"... It's like swimming through mud." Altans chimed in, "The blood, mucous, bodily oils, all of it mixed in, it's hard to swim through. Our journey to the capital required we rest on the edges of that forest island."

Eiryk looked down, "So... It's impossible..."

"Not exactly..." A voice chimed in. Turning, Eiryk saw a third Meridian who had walked in, adorning druid robes, and gilded skin. Captain Altans widened his gaze and knocked Tarlak across the face.

"YOU! YOU WERE THE ONE WHO SET THAT TRAP FOR MIKKAEL! HOW DARE YOU SHOW YOUR FACE IN THIS CITY!"

"R-Relax, brother Altans... I meant not for Mikkael to die in battle as he did! I wanted to see if he was strong enough! It was that necromancer who did this! Not I!"

"You were a conspirator against the crown! Against New Meridia itself!"

"That is why I am here, I mean no harm, and I know of a way in which we can reach New Meridia's ruins!"

Everyone in that room quieted for a moment. Tarlak explained that he had picked up on a fragment of his codex deep in the Pirate's Guild and retrieved it in hopes of salvaging some of the information stored within.

"A druid constantly strives for immortality, I couldn't just let it go." He explained, picking up the broken fragment of the codex that Mikkael had smashed much much earlier from his satchel, "Even if it's just a little bit, I can comb through it and see if I can salvage something from here that her grace had bestowed upon us through the experimentation in Vex Vinas."

Altans gritted his sharp teeth, "And if not?"

"If not, we make way to Avalon, where the Magus Guild is performing construction of a new magic university, and also is providing free magic laboratory work." The gold meridian spoke.

"How can we trust ye?" Bellamy asked after looking at everyone else in the room.

"It's all you can do. I do not wish to have my name carried as a villain who destroyed the world."

Silence fell upon the room, and Tarlak smiled, "Then we are all in agreement. Good."

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"The good news is that I've managed to recover and completely mesh with Anna-chan's body, using her as a boost up, increasing my reach further into the world. As you can see, my reach can now start purifying the waters and slowly return those who have the will to live."

"So, those people I saw managing to reach the shore..."

"That's right. They willed themselves to life." his counterpart chuckled. "Speaking of life, that's the bad news."

Yemhelch steeled himself as he walked towards the outskirts - and gasped as he saw the destroyed stasis crystal and the severely damaged equipment that now littered the hilltop.

"Who did this?"

"No one. He willed himself to life, busted out, grabbed a bunch of supplies and left back to the world."

At this, Yemhelch laughed darkly. "Always did run off by himself into obvious traps all by himself." he mumbled. "So, got any idea where he's off to?"

"Yeap. His will was so great, the Abyss responded to his call - popped him off somewhere in the Cyndar region."

"Do we have a way to track him?"

"Well, not directly, but he did take something of mine for the trip - that I can trace. Once I set up readings and get a good location, I'll meet up with you in the Selk royal palace."

"I see. I'll let Philena know."

"Wait."

"Is there something else?"

"What did you do to your weapon? It looks like it's been put through a wringer!"

"Oh... yeah. I kinda went nuts with it..."

"You should have it restored. It's in no condition for a fight."

"True..."

"Be careful out there. I have a really bad feeling about this."

"Thanks."

He closed his eyes.

-

Dawn was slowly starting when he awakened back in the guest room... curled up comfortably in the wardrobe. As gravity ensued, he fell out in a pile of morning robes and spare blankets.

"Today's gonna be one of those days..."

4 pcs.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Tablet upon tablet was being etched by what Tarlak could make of the magics in the ruined codex. Altans could barely manage to keep up with bringing in new stones for use. Yet soon it would come to a halt, and readings would need to be done upon them.

"Unfortunately, that can't be done here. It's in the ancient tongue, and all of our tools for translating this language were back in Vex Vinas." He explained. Eiryk scoffed.

"So there's no way to read these?"

"No," Tarlak began, adjusting his glasses, "At least, not here. Avalon."

"Well then, I guess we're off to Avalon." Eiryk commented. He wrapped up the numerous stone tablets and had them hoisted to a carriage outside the palace, there Tarlak walked up and sat in the back.

"It will be an hour before we reach town. However, until then I should say that these tablets will hopefully give us a spell for purification, or a plentiful supply of air to reach the depths of the city."

Eiryk nodded, "I'm supposed to be looking for a monolith."

The cart began to move as Tarlak looked up quizzically, "A monolith? What would such ancient magics be doing in our city?" Tarlak pondered, "Do you even know what it is?"

"No idea."

"Essentially... It's a rock. A thing of myth, really. There are said to be four stone monoliths in the world left as pillars of creation."

"Interesting. Any reason why?" Eiryk asked, but Tarlak shook his head.

"If you find it, it'll be quite the discovery."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
500th post!

-

It was the large crowd in front of the palace that got his attention. Excited murmurs that were floating in the air suddenly turned to an earth-shaking 'Hooray!' as he approached. As he entered the crowd, he found out what the excitement was about. Several caravans were setting about with large pots were handing out water, while a burly group of humans and titans working together to assemble a large series of pits surrounded by rock walls.

"A system to store water for later use." an old man explained to him. "We've made an agreement with the people of Avalon to start the construction of an aqueduct. Word has it that the Queen is preparing a Tetratriad alliance with Frenga Farms as well..."

"That's Fort Frenga now, gramps!" A young knight smiled. "That was its past name!"

"I liked the past." the old man grinned back. "I could go on my daily walk without getting jumped by super-hyped up slime beasts."

"So did I..."

Leaving the crowd, he looked around to see if he could find a blacksmith to repair his weapon. A little asking around finally led him to a household business, and a small child - no older than 7 asked him what he needed.

"I just need this reforged..." Yemhelch smiled as he showed him the tanto. It was in pretty bad shape - the blade nicked and bent along the edge and several hairline cracks running up and down the side. "How much will it cost?"

"That does look bad. Should I ask grandma?"

"Please."

The boy took the damaged blade and called into the house. To this, an utterly ancient woman walked out with a confident stride.

"An odd weapon, to be sure." the aged blacksmith smiled. "Where did you get it from?"

"Vel Da Ir. Why?"

"Ho ho, it reminded me of home." she smiled as she studied the weapon. "Yes, I can repair it. It'll take time, however."

"I've got time. How much do you need for it?"

"Hm?"

"Uh, you know. Money..." Yemhelch replied. "How much will this cost me."

"Your soul." she replied.

An uncomfortable silence filled the room, and she broke into laughter.

"Ahhh.... I haven't made a joke like that in a while!" the woman guffawed. "No, what I need is something else. You're not a Selkian citizen, I take it."

"No. Why?"

"Good. And here's what I need you to do." she nodded. "Now, you'll notice that after the cataclysm the world had to go through, the roads and lands have shifted about a bit. Perhaps a lot."

He recalled his talk with the Fernvolk clan ward and nodded.

"I'm currently preparing for an journey to visit my son who's made it safely to Avalon, you see." the woman continued. "But ah, it has become dangerous as of late. So, a sharp looking young man like you could ... as you young people say 'join my party'."

"Why not hire someone from the taverns?"

"The world's become a dangerous place, and most of the amateurs have decided to become peasants. The true elite now charge harshly for their services. As they should, due to the undead and metal beasts wandering the wilds. That's where you come in."

"Metal beasts, like the ones that attacked Frenga Farm..."

"Ah, so that's what happened to this blade, eh?" the wizened old woman gave him a face-splitting smile. "It's good that you have some experience fighting them. How about, if you help me, I'll temper this blade to be able to stand against such monsters?"

"Yeah... that'd be great."

"So, do you agree to my terms?"

"I've got time, and yeah... I guess this is fine."

"Very well. I'll start work on reforging this blade right away. My name is Hikaru Ouko, my grandson here..."

"My name is Hikaru Suguru!" the little boy raised his hand. "I'm the assistant!"

"It's nice to meet you. My name is Yemhelch... I'm staying at the palace since I'm with the Frenga caravan." he introduced himself as well.

4 pcs.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
The wagon casually rode along the path, nearing Avalon. The city peered at them over the cliffs it sat upon. Already, ARK remnants could be seen at the base of the cliffs and mountains, and walls were being erected to keep such threats out. Having inherited the estate and Mikkael's belongings, and being that it was one of few places in Jungalore with a source of fresh water, it only made sense for Queen Philena to fortify the town via his old guild.

Suddenly, and without warning, however, as Eiryk and Tarlak both peered up at the city, and series of explosions knocked the carriage and the two of them from the path! Eiryk rolled down a hillside with Tarlak and the horses ran off hurriedly, excitedly freed from the carriage itself.

Tarlak coughed restlessly, gasping for air as the dust settled, "Are you... alright, Eiryk?"

Eiryk got up as quickly as possible, only to find himself struggling as a stray piece of wood found itself lodged into his left lung.

"Damn, that looks bad, here..." Tarlak spoke quietly, removing the wood and applying some healing magic. Yet he couldn't stay focused for long as more explosions followed them and forced the two of them to flee.

"Is it... an ARK?" Eiryk wondered to himself, "No, these are different explosions... Magic!"

The dust finally settling once more, Eiryk peered over to the assailants. One meridian, clad in black armor with a giant blade resting on his shoulder, and a black shroud falling behind him. At his side, a mix of dragon and man, red eyes which pierced their very souls, and a grin that stretched from ear to ear.

"Mikkael... Altans?" Tarlak wondered, "Y-You're alive!"

"So are you," Baphomatt spoke up, "Tarlak."

"Tar...lak?" Mikkael asked, "That meridian... he's one of those who betrayed me!?"

Baphomatt couldn't help but stifle his grin, all was falling into place for him and he nodded, "Quite so, Mikkael... Though, they possess something that is key to our success, the tablets owned by that young-"

Baphomatt froze for a moment as he looked over at Eiryk, but then shook his head, "These two should be no problem for you, I must return to Cyndar to prepare the next assault. Be back by sunset."

Link

Mikkael nodded and Tarlak stepped to the front, "He's a liar, Mikkael, and you know it!"

"As gone as they are, all my memories point to you and the others being traitors!"

Without hesitation, Mikkael rushed forward, swinging his giant blade. Tarlak himself was caught in surprise by the sheer speed and might at which he could swing his blade, despite being a thick wall of wrought steel. The prophet utilized his skills as best he could to provide distractions, summoning lesser creatures, from animals to small fiends, and yet the darkness-clad warrior wouldn't relent.

Eiryk moved sideways, grabbing his bow and readying arrows, he took careful aim and shot at the meridian warrior, and yet they would only casually clank against his armor or the flat of his blade. If Mikkael swung at him, he would need to dodge, this way and that, with no regard to his surroundings.

"A weak child like you would stand no chance against me!" the enraged meridian growled, outright throwing Eiryk across the road. The throw was done with such force, that every bone in Eiryk's left arm broke like the twigs and branches he now lay upon.

Tarlak would not hold up much better, despite his best efforts to coax Mikkael from his anger.

"We did no such thing, Mikkael! Come to your senses!"

"Your fear is what makes you say such things, for now I am beyond death!"

"Don't you see! He is using you! He was the one who killed you! Not us!"

"You set me up to die... You and that woman!"

In that statement, Tarlak felt the shock of a hundred bolts shoot through his body, and Mikkael used that opportunity to cleave cleanly through his body. His upper half slid off from his lower. In his last moments, Tarlak saw everything that Baphomatt was to do, what he wanted, what he needed.

And now, Eiryk was defenseless. Unable to use his bow with his broken arm, he could neither run, nor could he fight. Try as he might to run, Mikkael appeared before him, his shadow looming over his body. Eiryk turned to face him, drawing Excalibur from its sheath.

"Hmph, a kid like you, drawing a blade to me. At least you have the guts to stand up for yourself."

"Mikkael... I don't remember everything, but I know this isn't you..."

With his one arm still working, he rushed Mikkael with the sleeping legendary weapon. As ineffective as his strikes were, he would not let up with his attacks.

"Feh!" Mikkael scoffed, knocking the boy back and then senselessly beating him into the ground. Eiryk felt himself on the verge of death itself, and Mikkael pressed down on Eiryk's chest with his foot, severing the boy's left arm with his blade.

"Get up. If you really have that much fight, this should keep you from being hindered."

Eiryk stared at Mikkael, puzzled, for beneath his black visor, he could tell the Mer was grinning. He wanted to actually fight Eiryk, as weak as he was. Mikkael jumped back, and changed stance, with Eiryk getting up and coughing up blood and his stomach contents before once again rushing Mikkael. The loss of his arm was in some ways helpful, but he was bleeding profusely from the wound, and still lacked the strength to overcome the man's raw defenses.

Mikkael soon grew tired and impaled the boy upon his massive blade.

"... Hmph." Mikkael sounded, letting the body slide off. Eiryk lay there in a pool of blood, most certainly, and without a doubt, dead.

In the recesses of his mind, he walked a clouded path. He saw two figures before him, one human, one meridian, and he himself stood with nothing but himself. Himself and a mark upon his left arm.

"You've been defeated, Eiryk..." A feminine voice sounded, "Your soul, however, cannot be judged, like the many others who have fallen to his blade."

"I don't want to die."

"No one wants to die when it's their time." The voice responded.

"Whatever you are, you don't either."

"True, this is very true."

"That's why I want to make you a deal."

"Let loose the true you, merge with the forms you see before you, and accept me as a part of yourself."

"I don't even know you."

"I am you from a you that was before your time. That much I will let you know."

"Never accepted by you, I faded into obscurity in another form of you, and waited for the day when I could be of use to you."

"What do you offer me?"

"Life, strength, and wholeness of self."

"I don't believe it."

"Accept it, and see for yourself."

"Will I still be myself?"

"You will finally become yourself."

"How can I accept it as myself if I am not myself?"

"You can't, but that's why you should accept it. We are nearing death, so you must make your choice now."

Then, the forms of himself finally became one.

Link

Mikkael stepped towards the wrapped tablets, and yet, behind him, something was happening. Eiryk, who was dead, stood up.

"No... I refuse your death sentence."

Mikkael turned to see shadows rising from the boy's feet. An arm forming out of the darkness, like that of a demon's hand. The markings on the phantom arm forming upon him shone a brilliant red, and were marked over the normal black markings now extending beyond the arm. His markings continued up to his eye and down his entire left side. The shadows soon wrapped around his leg and became like a black flame in his right hand and at his feet, with the final touch being a black marking encompassing his right eye.

Mikkael gazed at him, whether in wonder, awe, or amazement, none could tell, but he couldn't stay staring for long. Eiryk ran forward and exchanged blow for blow with Mikkael. They attacked one another at equal speeds, and dodged the other's attack with equally amazing feats of speed and strength.

"What... are you?" Mikkael finally asked, attempting to catch his breath, "You are unlike any man I have faced before."

The battle raged on for what seemed like forever, and the shadows continued to empower Eiryk's fight, the blade unable to cut through them, as if his arm were of diamonds. The blade could do nothing but bounce off against the defense of the shadows, and yet Eiryk's main body still showed signs of fragility.

Yet Eiryk continued his assault, finally resolving to grab Excalibur and stab Mikkael through the chest. The meridian laughed when the act was done, as if it were a regular flesh wound.

"Well then, this is interesting, not only do you have something that I want... but you are the first to ever harm me in battle..."

Mikkael pulled Excalibur out by the blade, and began walking away, "I let you live just this once, but when we next meet, I'll have you destroyed, and claim what's mine. That is all."

Leaving behind the tablets, Mikkael walked away from the battle, and Eiryk's arm and shadows retracted, his arm now wrapped in a series of bandages, covering it entirely to at least bear the resemblance of a human arm, his right eye equally covered by the same kind of bandages.

He had a mission, but first he would have to decide...

"Tarlak... I'm sorry, I'll have to report your death before anything else..."

Arriving in Avalon, Eiryk reported the death of Tarlak to the local guard, and described everything he could that transpired, save for his reawakening, or rather, awakening. He felt uncomfortable from the brightness of the sun upon Avalon, now feeling the full effects of being deemed undead. He came upon a clothing store and bought himself a burlap cape to shade himself from the brightness of the sun.

Avalon was quickly turning into a magic city for sure. There being labs, magic practice in the square, and even reconstruction of the church in the town.

He was walking through the town, trying to find his way, when he heard a familiar voice...

"There you are! I was wondering where you ran off to!"

The corner of his mind kept being pulled as he looked at this girl who ran up to him, she was wearing full on sage robes, and seemed to be in charge of things. That's when he remembered...

"... Aya!"

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Yemhelch wiped away the sweat on his brow as he carried the blacksmith's luggage with a practiced heave. Aside from some Poison Morphos jumping them at the start, the trail had been quiet. Whoever this old grandma was, she had reforged his tanto and even added a counterweight in the handle for further reliance. As they turned the edge of the path, he took it out at began to admire it.

The edge had been entirely reforged with meteoric titanium, and a layer of soot magically compressed in to form a hairline of diamond across the edge and tapered point. The back had been weighted forwards to allow sweeping strikes and further impact resistance. The handle itself had been entirely taken apart, and a metal counterweight now formed the core of the weapon instead of the standard wood. The hilt carefully wrapped in beast leather allowed a more comfortable grip and finally, the pommel - instead of a bronze knob, was now a weighted steel bit with a small inbuilt ring that could serve as a cudgel or a throwing weapon should the need arise.

"Oi, careful you don't cut yourself on that." the old woman chuckled as she caught him admiring her handiwork. "Keep it in that feathered sheath when you're not using it."

"Yeah, you're right." Yemhelch nodded as he carefully resheathed the weapon. "Accidents do happen..."

They walked a bit further up the hill, and his nose suddenly scrunched at the smell of blood. A few moments later, the source revealed itself - a series of charred marks on the road, leading to a shattered carriage, whose contents were leaking onto the dirt path.

He signaled for quiet and motioned for his two companions to use the brush cover in the side of the road as he unsheathed his blade, and after placing them in a combat stance, he began to tiptoe towards the carriage, only to realize that the pile he thought was a bunch of rags was a corpse - cleanly bisected in two by what seemed to be an enormous blade.

"Where have I seen this style before...?" he murmured as he knelt down to do a quick autopsy.

-

A few minutes passed and he stood up. Judging by the surroundings, the stiff's gear and the unusual cargo of tablets, this Meridian must've been some high ranking figure in Meridian society before whatever befell them forced their move to Selk - and he must've been slashed open not two hours ago.

There was no doubt about it. He rifled through his memories and only came up with one possibility - that his old friend Mikkael was here. He skimmed through the tablets, but they were written in an unusual runic that belied all translation efforts. Quietly slipping the tablets into his backpack, he rejoined his traveling companions who were watching him from the sideways.

"Bandits, I suppose." Yemhelch sighed. "Fortunately, I found no trace of them. We should hurry on to Avalon as soon as possible."

"Good call, young man."

As they turned the route and finally got waved past the gates, he spotted a familiar figure...

"Oh hey, Eiryk." Yemhelch waved at him as they entered the town square. "... had a bad day there and now you're gonna be a mountain hermit?"

4 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Eiryk turned to see the traveller he had met before once again. He turned to Aya who had been scolding him earlier and stated, "We can talk about my absence later. I have business with this man."

Aya reluctantly sighed, "Very well, meet me at the advisory office later."

The elvine girl waltzed off, going over to some project most likely. He walked up to Yemhelch and skipped the pleasantries.

"Yemhelch... I met him. I met Mikkael."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
His contract done with the traveling family, he collected a waterskin of water as a bonus on his paycheck and continued to walk with Eiryk, when he dropped this bombshell.

Just as he suspected. However, out in a town square where many still held high esteem for his friend was no place to talk about the seemingly dead coming to life. So, they took a quiet side street away from the town center and sat down on some old benches.

"I know." he sighed. "Still... for a fellow ace attorney, he was pretty sloppy about making an exit. So riddle me this. Did he kill that fish dude?"

Confusion reigned on Eiryk's face for only a moment at the ace attorney comment before he remembered what he was talking about. Nodding, Eiryk summarized the battle - but left out the part about what happened to him. At the mention of Baphomatt, Yemhelch bowed his head.

"This is my fault. I should've just walked over and broke his neck, laws be damned the moment I saw him in the courtroom that day. Sure, I'd get a bit of jail time - but I could always sneak out..." Yemhelch said quietly. "I'm very sorry. I don't know what I can do to make it up."

Eiryk carefully considered his answer.

4 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"The only thing I know is that the two are working together, and Mikkael is just... following him. Like he owes Baphomatt his life or something. He wears pitch black armor, and you can't even see his face. In fact, the armor is like nothing I've ever seen."

"There is also... Another thing." Eiryk continued, "I was killed too, I shouldn't be alive. The hole in my chest should be a testament to that. Yet, there was something that called to me, and I'm alive."

He didn't know what sort of answers he could glean from saying such, but he decided to ask anyways, "Any idea as to what this could mean? I mean, how is this even possible?"

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"So, shall we tell him?" a voice spoke from one of the run-down houses, and Eiryk turned - alarmed at this newcomer, for he spoke EXACTLY like Yemhelch. The man walked out into the daylight and Eiryk gasped. This newcomer was a perfect doppelganger of the man who now sat beside him, looking up.

"Well, if we are going to ask for his help - might as well be honest about everything." Yemhelch nodded. "Hey, it worked for that other girl you talked to."

"... what is going on here?" Eiryk asked, clearly nervous. "Why are there two of you?"

"Don't mind me. I'm just taking on a form you're comfortable with." the man explained. "Anyway, you asked us 'what is going on here', and you want answers. Right?"

Eiryk hesitated. "... right." he mumbled.

"Good, then come on inside. We have much to discuss." the man beckoned them to the inside of the abandoned house.

Eiryk stood at the door, considering his next move.

4 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Eiryk chose to step inside, given that he had little choice if he wanted to continue forwards. He put aside the question of the two Yemhelchs for now, and instead would listen.

After all, he was good at listening, if not speaking.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
As Eiryk entered the old building, his eyes slowly got used to the gloom and he found himself in a ... tavern? The clinking of glasses and the sound of banter filled the air as he stepped into the bar. He looked around and finally saw Yemhelch and Yemhelch at the far end of the table, with one of them waving him over.

"Huh... is this another illusion?" Eiryk mumbled as he took a seat. "So, what's this about?"

They engaged in some small talk, and caught up with what was happening, and Eiryk sighed. "So... tell me what's happening."

"Before we start, however..." Yemhelch said as he flagged down a waitress in a daring outfit, and let his counterpart do the ordering. "Do you remember how Philena called you a scholar, yet you claim you have no memory of doing so?"

"I've been wondering the same myself..." Eiryk nodded as he rubbed his temples. "Goats milk, please. Yes, now that you mention it - it is quite strange. It's like I should remember, but I don't."

"But you still remember your old boss, that woman you were talking to today." Yemhelch countered. "A mug of beer for me. So, don't you find it odd?"

"Now that you mention it... Philena mentioned the waters of Selk..." Eiryk looked down at the menu. "I remember... being a scholar of Lumbra, but nothing more."

"I see. Then, do you remember becoming whole again?" Yemhelch's counterpart, now sporting a hawaiian t-shirt and khakhi pants for some reason questioned him.

Eiryk jolted slightly at this question. "H-how...?!"

"You're more than the sum of your parts, but it seems you have something that shouldn't be yours, but is anyway." Yemhelch smiled. "The answer should be in that bandaged hand of yours. If my theory is correct, it would account for the missing ones."

"Missing ones?"

"Do you remember when the mark in your arm absorbed some of the creatures that once called this layer of existence home?" Yemhelch continued. "I figure the only reason they're there is that they like it there more than the great ol' outdoors."

"But, what does it have to do with Mikkael being thralled by the necromancer?"

"Patience, young grasshopper." the man in the zoot suit smiled. "The mark of Umbraria you're packing there is closely related to the Tome of Shadows that was used to kill Mikkael. So, here's my theory - since the creatures from beyond boosted the power of the Mark, it somehow interfered with the process, splitting the poor man's soul in three different directions - one, to the Tome, Second to the sea of LCL, and third... to you."

"..."

Eiryk closed his eyes and tried to remember. With his shadow-fueled arm, he had fought like a master swordsman - even getting in a stab against a highly skilled opponent.

"... I see. So..."

"Here comes the difficult part. Your soul is complete, but at a cost - the life of my friend." Yemhelch finished. "That's why, I want to ask for your help restoring my friend's life."

"But that's impossible! If my soul was destroyed, I could die!"

"No, not anymore. We only need to make a copy."

"A copy, of the soul?" Eiryk gasped. "But that's... blasphemy..."

"See, you still retain some memories of your former life." Yemhelch smiled. "All I'm asking for is for your help to save my friend's life."

"How is this even possible?!"

"Thanks to that girl."

A woman with blond hair and an unusually designed armor walked down the steps and into the tavern. The man wearing the comfy robes waved her over. As she smiled and walked over, Eiryk recognized her.

"Oh, Ahnbein!"

With a radiant smile, she joined the small group at the table.

"H-hello..." she mumbled out shyly, still unused to speaking.

"W-wait, your voice..." Eiryk gasped. "What-how...?"

"When we work together..." Yemhelch's counterpart smiled. "We can do anything. And right now, our goal is to stop Baphomatt and save this world."

"Please. Give me one chance to make things right again." Yemhelch earnestly asked him.

4 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Eiryk gave it some thought, looking around and then staring into his mug. Copying his soul, what's the worst that could happen? Perhaps there's a different option they all hadn't thought of. Some parts of himself were still unbeknownst to him, and he had a mission still, to head to the site of New Meridia, now beneath the waves.

The two Yemhelchs and Ahnbein were awaiting his answer.

"I'll cooperate, but on the condition that you instruct me more in the usage of these things inside me." He responded finally, "And, you need to at the very least consider my own mission, why I was heading to Avalon, why I need to reach the depths of New Meridia. If you can assist in this, we may have a chance at saving the world."

He finally gave a sigh having said all this, taking a drink and ending with, "Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it."

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
"New Meridia, New Meridia..." the man in the peasant gear mumbled. "I know that place. If my calculations are right, it's the site of ground zero of whatever the weapon used against this world lies at. Thanks to my newfound strength, I could open a warpway there, but I doubt either of you could breathe down there given the immense pressures and the polluted waters."

"Wait, does it have anything to do with these weird tablets I found on a trashed carriage today?" Yemhelch piped up as he fished one out of his backpack. "These definitely look like their writing, but the core structure of the runes is so different, I had no idea how to translate it."

"It could be. That's why I needed a way to get down there." Eiryk replied.

"Um... aren't you able to purify the water?" Ahnbein asked. "What if you did both at the same time?"

"A warpway, backed by my filtering palps..." Yemhelch's counterpart mused. "A costly endeavor. The possibility of success is less than 2%..."

"At least it's not zero."

"... I like the cut of your jibe, humans." he smiled. "It reminds me of myself... too long ago. Very well. Allow us to copy the part of your soul that was given to you, and I will do my best to help you reach your destination."

Eiryk once again descended into a quiet. "There it is again." he said. "You call us 'humans', and you seem to completely disregard the laws of nature. Who... or what are you?"

"Should we tell them?" the man wearing the strange yellow helmet turned to Yemhelch.

"They've earned the right to know, I figure." Yemhelch answered. "I'll try to keep this simple, but hold onto your seats."

"Many countless trillions of years ago, we were like you - humans colonizing the world, then the stars. We spread through the galaxies, basically 'going where no man has gone before'. Overall, while we were like you, we were more of a proto-hivemind; we watched out for each other. Even one loss was a horrifying thought. Eventually, in our universe - we came to understand the laws of the universe... and realized that heat death was coming. Imagine a night sky without stars. That is what it's like - total, unending nothingness.

"To survive, we forcibly altered our own evolution, becoming something similar to the oceans of blood that you see today - our minds, already sharing close bonds with each other grew even closer, unifying our already-immense will into one singular force. A singularity, determined to survive no matter what. The end came and went, and we drifted through the boundary of non-existence - our one thought-form giving us strength."

"So we wandered, until the light of creation in your world drew us to your world. At first, we were lost - and we were desperate enough to cut our way into existence. However, I sacrificed my will to create a sapient scout to learn more about the world - and that's when my plan to collect all 5 artifacts and blast my way back into existence got a monkey wrench thrown into it. We realized that what we were doing was wrong, and sought to find another way. I suppose you humans and your humanity are infectious, heh heh."

"What about the monsters in that region?" Eiryk questioned him. "Did you summon them?"

"They were once interdimensional parasites - life forms hanging at the boundary between existence and non, driven by instinct to seek energy. In the span of many billions of years, they turned from parasite, to symbiotic organisms that served my will, as scouts, as spies, as information-gathering..."

"I think... that's all I needed to know." Eiryk nodded. "So, when do we start?"

"Right now."

4 pcs.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 39  Next