Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Software Architecture and Design Patterns (javascript) 
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
Post Software Architecture and Design Patterns (javascript)
For experienced programmers, one thing has become clear. There are a lot of idiots out there, and working with those idiots is the worst.
For this reason, in every programming language out there, there is a set of rules, patterns, anti-patterns, and structural designs that every programmer ought to know and follow.
Note that these are not requirements for programs to work, but rather, for teams to work. They also help a lot in designing your code, and wrapping everything together neatly.

In my quest to expand my programming knowledge into javascript I found this extremely useful read. I highly recommend everyone who wants to become a legit javascript programmer to read it.

If you just now heard of design patterns, but don't really care about javascript, you can find websites and books focusing on your specific language. Keep in mind that this is a LOT of reading. It took 3 months of study at my university to learn this stuff. If you feel that you're not ready to go professional, just try to learn one or two patterns and come back when you feel confident once again.

Anyway, here's the page.
https://addyosmani.com/resources/essent ... erns/book/

now, upon visiting the page, you'll immediately see a book cover with a bird on it. That's how you know this is quality content. Any book published with an animal on it (O'REILLY) is GOOD STUFF.

One pattern I suggest you start with is the module pattern, as it encapsulates code, and lets you choose what is private and what is public, just like most other languages (C++, C#, Java, etc). It is also very important in order to get your code to work with other code. If you create a function, and some other code happen to use the exact same name for something, there will be clashes, but not if you used modules. It is also generally agreed upon that you want to keep as much of your variables and functions private unless you know you're going to use them outside the class/module.

This knowledge is definitely one of the requirements for getting a nice programming job, so get your fat, lazy asses up (and sit down again) and start reading.

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:08 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]