Total votes : 6

Else-kun Laughs @: Intelligent Design by Rael 
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
Post Else-kun Laughs @: Intelligent Design by Rael
Hello my fellow Forkheads and Forkheadettes, I've decided to start sharing my various debunking rants and such to you all because I have nothing better to do with my life when I'm not living the McLife and doing Jungalore crap. I decided to start out with a thicker read, Intelligent Design by "Rael" because from just the bit that I've started out with, I can tell that this is borderline Spirit Science level bullshit.

First, some background information of the belief system behind the book...

"Raëlism (also known as Raëlianism or the Raëlian movement) is a UFO religion that was founded in 1974 by Claude Vorilhon (b. 1946), now known as Raël. The Raëlian Movement teaches that life on Earth was scientifically created by a species of extraterrestrials, which they call the Elohim. Members of this species appeared human when having personal contacts with the descendants of the humans that they made. They purposefully misinformed early humanity that they were angels, cherubim, or gods. Raëlians believe that messengers, or prophets, of the Elohim include Buddha, Jesus, and others who informed humans of each era. The founder of Raëlism, members claim, received the final message of the Elohim and that its purpose is to inform the world about Elohim and that if humans become aware and peaceful enough, they wish to be welcomed by them." -Wikipedia, Raëlism

Okay, so basically this is grounded in an unfounded claim that some guy met with humanoid aliens and also happen to conform history to the bible... and just who is Claude Vorilhon anyways?

"Raël (born Claude Maurice Marcel Vorilhon on 30 September 1946), is the founder and current leader of the UFO religion known as Raëlism.

Vorilhon began singing at a young age[citation needed] and soon became a sports-car journalist and test driver for his own car-racing magazine, Autopop. Following what he said was an extraterrestrial encounter in December 1973, he formed the Raëlian Movement and changed his name to Raël (allegedly meaning "messenger of the elohim").[citation needed] He later published several books, which detail his claims of an encounter with a being called Yahweh in 1973. He traveled the world to promote his books for over 30 years." -Wikipedia, [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%ABl]Raël[/url] (Redirected from Claude Vorilhon)

Right, so this person has nothing really stand-out-ish about him, and has no real traits that would really deem him a worthy "messenger" of these alien people. Granted, it would be the alien's standards, but instead of picking someone who would have influence over others, they pick some race car driver. Seems legit.

Now, let's keep in mind that the book we're reviewing, Intelligent Design, was written in the 1970s, meaning that this faith system is about 40 years old. It also makes a lot of predictions, so we should also keep a count of how many actually came true within a reasonable time frame of the prediction.

If for some reason you want to ruin your brain, you can find the pdf version here on their website. Note how the page is titled "Intelligent Design for Atheists - The Raelien Movement." Sure, they're not wrong, as there's no real "god" involved in the entire thing, but you'd have to be logically incapacitated to have to believe any of this, as we will see in the coming chapters.

I won't be debunking the entire book in one sitting, but I will be going on a chapter-by-chapter basis. I will first start by addressing the...

Foreword by Anthony Grey
The foreword, which is 13 pages in length, is just one big appeal to authority. Anthony Grey may be a bestselling journalist, sure, but he has no authority on the matter, and is prone to confirmation bias being that he's a member of the Raelian movement, and being that this is a later copy of the original three books, this would mean that he would have been in the movement while supposedly confirming that this is all "true."

Yes, I did just save us having to quote from thirteen pages by summing it up as an appeal to authority, but it's true. I even have this to confirm his involvement with the movement from at least 1990. Besides, I don't care what some novelist has to say about it. Get on with the bullshit!

BOOK ONE: THE BOOK WHICH TELLS THE TRUTH
Oh, I bet...

C1: ENCOUNTER
We open with some introduction about how Mr. Vorilhon had a passion for motor racing as a child... Why this is included is beyond me, maybe it forms some sort of analogy over his views on humanity "how man is trying to surpass himself and others" (paraphrased) but regardless, he takes an entire paragraph on this and also tells us about how he got into some races of his own. I suppose it could be some sort of background on our dear author, but it's pretty much pointless.

Next, we're introduced to our setting...

"On the 13th of December, 1973, however, I went to a volcano overlooking Clemont-Ferrand in central southern France... The air was cool at the time, and the sky rather gray with a background mist. I walked and jogged a little and left the path... aiming to reach the center of the crater called Puy-de-Lassolas..."

Keep in mind that I cut out as much "fluff" from that as possible. He then goes on to talk more on how it used to be an active volcano, literally taking a good two paragraphs. It's like I'm reading a novel rather than a book that's supposed to totally smash my world view.

"... Suddenly in the fog, I saw a red light flashing; then a sort of helicopter was descending towards me. A helicopter, however, makes noise, but at that moment, I could hear absolutely nothing... A balloon maybe?"

Now, I want everyone to remember this for later. That being said, let's try and spot the similarities of a helicopter and a balloon (keeping in mind that the modern hot air balloon has kept a consistent design since the 1960s, and the helicopter is a NATO Rescue Helicopter from the Rescue Meet on May 28th 1970)...

Hmmm... Nope, not seeing too many similarities. Also, what balloon has a flashing red light on it? None that I've ever seen.

He also provides a map of the area, which, due to a later trait given to the object, kind of defeats his story a little more.

"By now, the object was about twenty meters above the ground, and I could see it had a somewhat flattened shape.
It was a flying saucer."

Because all alien space ships are flying saucers. We know this because we have PLENTY of legitimate flying saucers and have discovered them many times. Duh. Also, be sure to keep note of the shape, as he keeps no internal consistency on the actual shape of the flying saucer/cone.

He further describes it as follows...

"... It measured some seven meters in diameter, about 2.5 meters in height, was flat underneath and cone shaped. On its underside, a very bright red light flashed while at the top an intermittent white light reminded me of a camera flash cube. This white light was so intense, that I could not look at it without blinking."

This raises a few questions with me...
    1. Is it a cone or a saucer?
    2. Why did he notice the red light first and not the notably brighter white light?
    3. Why did no one else in the area notice it?

The saucer/cone/plot element continues to descend and then we get a bit of comedy gold...

"I bitterly regretted not having brought my camera with me."

... Oh wait, he's being serious... You know, I personally would not bring a camera with me wherever I go either, especially in the 1970s, but the fact that he makes mention of this just makes me feel that he just put it in there to preempt the question of whether or not he took a picture. It just sounds like a load of crap.

"A trap door opened beneath the machine and a kind of stairway unfolded to the ground... First two feet appeared and then two legs... what at first I took to be a child came down the stairway and walked straight towards me... I could see then this was certainly no child even though the figure was about four feet (1.2 meters) tall. His eyes were slightly almond shaped, his hair was black and long, and he had a small black beard. I still had not moved, and he stopped about ten meters away from me.
He wore some sort of green one-piece suit, which covered his entire body, and although his head seemed to be exposed, I could see around it a strange sort of halo. It was not really a halo but the air about his face shone slightly and shimmered. It looked like an invisible shield, like a bubble, so fine you could barely see it. His skin was white with a slightly greenish tinge, a bit like someone with liver trouble."

As with the question of cone or saucer, is it a halo or a bubble? Is it barely visible or invisible?

Also, before someone asks, YES, THESE ARE APPARENTLY THE CREATORS OF HUMANITY... Short people in green jumpsuits...

YOU LITERALLY CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP.

"... Thinking that I had to find out if he could hear me, I asked..."

... and now we get dialogue. For the sake of ease, we will refer to Claude Vorilhon as "Rael" and our midget alien creator in green as "MAGIC."

Rael: Where do you come from?
-He answered in a very strong and articulate voice that was slightly nasal...-
MAGIC: From very far away.
Rael: Do you speak French?
MAGIC: I speak all the languages of the Earth.

I assumed you were actually speaking French initially. If you were, then why bother asking. If you weren't, then why did you assume that whatever language you were using was their language?

Rael: Do you come from another planet?
Me: :psh

MAGIC: Yes.
-As he spoke, he moved closer and stopped about two meters from me.-
Rael: Is this the first time you have visited the Earth?
MAGIC: Oh no!
Rael: Have you been here often?
MAGIC: Very often, to say the least.

If that's the case, then why haven't we seen them? Without using some bullshit excuse like camouflage.

Rael: Why did you come here?
MAGIC: Today, to talk to you.
Rael: To me?

Me: :psh

MAGIC: Yes, to you, Claude Vorilhon, editor of a small motor sport magazine, married and father of two children.
Rael: How do you know all that?
MAGIC: We have been watching you for a long time.

Why do these aliens have such perversions? Like, really, every time they've been supposedly watching someone, you have to bring into question just how much they've been watching.

Rael: Why me?
MAGIC: This is precisely what I want to tell you. Why did you come here on this cold winter morning?"
Rael: I don't know... I felt like walking in the fresh air..."

Oh, well, that was pointle-

MAGIC: Do you come here often?
Rael: In the summer yes, but almost never in this season.
MAGIC: So why did you come today? Had you planned this walk for a long time?

Dude, he literally just said he felt like taking a walk. People can just suddenly feel like doing shit. Sometimes I just feel like drawing, sometimes I just feel like buying something. Sometimes I even feel like cleaning the walls at work, because hey, they look fucking disgusting and I SWEAR TO GOD THEY HAD BETTER BE CLEANED WHEN I GET BACK ON WHATEVERDAY. Point is, if I just feel like something, I can do it, and it's not just me, either. If someone wants to take a fucking walk, they can take a fucking walk.

Rael: No. I don't really know. When I woke up this morning I suddenly had an urge to come here.
MAGIC: You came because I wanted to see you. Do you believe in telepathy?
Rael: Yes, of course, it's something I've always been interested in - as well as the subject of "flying saucers". But I never thought I'd see one myself.
MAGIC: Well, I used telepathy to get you to come here because I have many things to tell you...

... Yes, apparently, somehow, through unexplained means... Rael was telepathically controlled to meet the alien at this specific place... In fact, a lot of stuff they talk about it answered by telepathy. However, this raises a problem with these aliens. For instance, if they're really gods, and they seek to give us good experiences, then why don't they telepathically stop issues like rape, murder, drug abuse, and so on? Granted, they don't claim to be all-good, but they do want to provide for people the best experiences, and this is contradictory in and of itself. Similarly, they take sides in wars as referenced in later chapters, instead of preventing wars altogether. Telepathy is a powerful bit of magic you can give your characters, and when it also encompasses mind-control, it outright creates plot-holes. Oh, right, sorry, this isn't magic, it's all "science" (again, we will be told how none of this is magic and it's all scientific without being told the mechanisms for how ANY of it works).

MAGIC: Have you read the bible?
Rael: Yes, but why do you ask?
MAGIC: Have you been reading it for a long time?
Rael: No, as a matter of fact, I bought it only a few days ago.
MAGIC: Why?

YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER.

Rael: I really don't know. Suddenly I had the urge to read it...
MAGIC: Again I used telepathy to make you decide to buy it.

:heh :heh :heh :heh :heh

So the alien invites Vorilhon into his spaceship as my palm interacts with my face. He then CHANGES THE DESCRIPTION OF THE SHIP YET AGAIN. Seriously, does this guy have shitty eyesight or what!?

"I followed him, climbing up the small staircase beneath the machine, which, on closer inspection, looked more like a flattened bell with a full and bulging underside..."

SO IS IT A SAUCER, A CONE, OR A FLATTENED BELL!? THIS THING WAS ONLY A FEW METERS AWAY FROM YOU, IT COULD NOT BE THAT DIFFICULT TO SEE.

The inconsistency pile aside, we get to learn more about the inside of the ship. I don't even feel like quoting, but it basically lacks any sort of visible controls, and the floor is a sparkling blue-ish alloy of some kind. It also had translucent chairs, and when midget alien touches a spot on the wall, the whole ship (save for the top and bottom) become transparent.

MAGIC: You regret not having brought your camera so that you could have talked about our meeting to the whole world - with proof in your hands?
Rael: Yes, of course...

Actually, this brings up another thing, why didn't the alien use telepathy to get him to bring his camera? Literally, how hard would that have been? Just say, "Oh yeah, and because you may like the winter view from some angle, grab the fucking camera and keep it on you at all times." You literally have NO excuse.

Next we are told by midget that Rael will tell us the truth about what we are, the meetings they have, and so on. They'll judge our reactions and decide whether or not they will show themselves openly and officially... Which clearly means that either we didn't have the right reactions, or that this is all bullshit...

Well, I trust Occam's Razor for this one.

Rael: But why did you choose me?
MAGIC: For many reasons. First of all, we needed someone in a country where new ideas are welcomed and where it is possible to talk about such ideas openly. Democracy was born in France...

STOP.

This is a terrible fault of these so called creators to not only be fucking stupid in the regard of not telling Vorilhon to bring a fucking camera, but now they're getting human history wrong. SOMETHING THAT THEY CANNOT POSSIBLY GET WRONG IF THEY ARE THE ACTUAL CREATORS OF HUMANITY AND THE BIBLE IS LITERALLY TRUE (with the exception of all miracles being explained by unexplained science).

The earliest form of democracy was formed in Ancient Greece, at least according to current findings. In fact, Athenians established what is generally held as the first democracy in 508–507 BCE. This would fit within biblical timelines as well. Too early? Well, if we still look back to the 1700s, with the American Revolution, they would be the ones to have at least something of a democracy. Sure, only white male property owners could vote, but it was a democracy nonetheless. A century prior, there were also shifts to Constitutional Monarchies in England, Scotland, and Sweden. Again, these are not "true" democracies as they were also limited, but they were still democracies nonetheless. France would not experience a democracy until the late 1700s, and guess what, IT IS ALSO A CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY AND ALSO ONLY ALLOWED A SELECT DEMOGRAPHIC TO BE PUT IN POWER.

So no, the alien creator midgets are wrong on that front, as they can't even get human history down. We learn that the Greeks founded democracy (at least a form of direct democracy) in elementary school, and we learn all about the transition from medieval Europe to the early modern Europe in middle school, with the French Revolution being taught in high school. The fact that even a Canadian grade-school student can show that the so-called creators are full of crap is just outright laughable.

But, I digress...

MAGIC: ... and this country has a reputation the world over for being the country of freedom...

STOP, YOU SILLY FUCKHEADS.

I'm pretty sure when people think of the "country of freedom" we think of America. Sure, now it seems that the internet is plagued by Canadian and American SJWs, and that the college campuses are also filled with these anti-freedom pigs these days, but many would call the USA the country of freedom well into the 2000s and even early 2010s. However, this is also a matter of opinion, and anyone with a strong sense of nationalism will praise their country as something great.

MAGIC: ... Also we needed someone who is intelligent and quite open to everything...

:confused

So I'm pretty sure we can all agree that this guy is not intelligent. Again, using Occam's Razor, we can determine that it's most likely that he made this crap up. I mean, again, just count the inconsistencies, count the factual errors. I reiterate, CANADIAN STUDENTS ARE TAUGHT THAT DEMOCRACY WAS FOUNDED IN ANCIENT GREECE.

Of course, intelligence is often specialized as well, so he may be highly intelligent in some subject, but then we have to ask if he's intelligent in the relevant subject. Though, we aren't given any idea of how he is intelligent or in what subject(s) Vorilhon is intelligent, so I can only call this an ego stroke.

MAGIC: ... Above all, we needed someone who is a free thinker without being anti-religious. Because you were born of a Jewish father and a Catholic mother, we consider you to be an ideal link between two very important peoples in the history of the world...

They don't really clarify what they mean by free thinker, but going by the current definitions ("a person who rejects accepted opinions") then they could basically choose any scientist, any skeptic, really, but instead they pick someone who is more likely to hold Judaeo-Christian beliefs, something that requires faith and flies in he face of logic, as well as observable and testable reality. Certainly, both the Christians and the Jews were important people in the history of the world, but they could probably find someone else who fits in with this criteria, such as... Maybe Milo Yiannopoulos?

MAGIC: ... Besides, your activities do not in any way predispose you to making incredible revelations, and this will make your words all the more credible.

No. Vorilhon, you have it all wrong.

Skeptics as a whole do not care about the person making the claim. Certainly, having knowledge of the relevant field of the claim adds some credibility to it, but what matters is not the person making the claim but the claim itself. For instance, consider a social worker who is really good at what they do, and this social worker makes a claim that "Foreskins give people STDs because my friend said so." Now, that's an absurd fucking claim, and there's much simpler explanations for the result (the STD). However, consider a village fool in medieval times who says that "The Earth is round because on a flat Earth you would not only be able to see the sun from anywhere, but as a consequence, it would have to either be day everywhere or night everywhere." This perfectly represents what's going on here.

If a claim is shown to be wrong, it's simply wrong. It doesn't matter who makes the claim.

MAGIC: ... Since you are not a scientist, you will not complicate things and will explain them simply. Not being a literary man, you won't compose elaborate sentences, which are difficult to read for a great many people...

Sure, but it still shoots you in the foot.

By not explaining things in detail and not giving a detailed explanation of everything represented in this narrative (which you claim is true), you basically require blind faith from the reader. We can't show any of it to be true, and so we may as well not believe in it. That said, some of the stuff you claim can be shown as true or false, and a lot of it would simply be false just because of the impossibility of the situations described.

MAGIC: ... Finally, we decided to choose someone born after the first atomic explosion in 1945... We have in fact been following you since your birth, and even before...

The claim that the first atomic explosion occurred in 1945 is an internal inconsistency, you'll see why in one of the later sections. That said, why would this matter? That said, why not pick someone from a later period in time when humanity ends up becoming much more intelligent? Is it because more nukes were launched? In that case Vorilhon does not fit the criteria as two nukes were dropped in 1945.

MAGIC: ... Do you have any other questions?
Rael: Where do you come from?
MAGIC: From a distant planet about which I will tell you nothing for fear that men of the Earth might be unwise enough to disturb our peace.
Rael: Is your planet very far away?
MAGIC: Very far. When I tell you the distance you will understand it is impossible to reach it with your present level of scientific and technical knowledge.

DUDE, THEN WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU IN FEAR OF!? If we cannot reach it or even send anything to it, then there is no way to disturb the peace of your planet.

Also, you'll tell us about it anyways. Proof?

Rael: What are you called?
MAGIC: We are people like you, and we live on a planet similar to Earth.

See?

Also, that didn't really answer the question.

Rael: How long does it take you to come here?
MAGIC: As long as it takes to think about it.
Rael: Why do you come to Earth?
MAGIC: To monitor and watch over the development of humanity. Human beings on Earth are the future, we are the past.
Rael: Are there many people on your planet?
MAGIC: There are more people than on yours.

A simple "yes" would have sufficed. Again, though, telling us about your planet...

Rael: I would like to visit your planet. Can I?
MAGIC: No. First of all, you couldn't live there because the atmosphere is different from yours, and you have not been trained for such a journey.

Oh boy, more insight on the planet they're from. Internal consistency, how does that work?

Midget alien then tells us that the crater of a volcano is an ideal meeting place, "away from irksome people" despite the bright flashing lights most likely being visible from very far away. He tells Vorilhon to come back the next day with the bible and something to take notes with. He's also told not to bring any metallic objects (I suppose zippers and buttons don't count or the metal parts in pens or on pencils?) and to speak to no one of their conversation or else they would never meet again...

How petty.

The ship leaves without the slightest murmur, and after rising to "about 400 meters) it disappears into the mist...

Well, that was fucking stupid. Already I'm not well convinced that any of this was true. That being said, if anyone has comments, I'd like to hear them as well. I set up a poll, and if I get enough people saying yes or telling me to eat a bag of dicks, then I'll continue this.

After all, this is a pain in the ass.

(OP's Note: The works here are used/quoted/paraphrased for the sake of criticism and education, and isn't being sold or any shit like that. If you feel at all offended, kindly consult your nearest tub of butter/margarine and alarm clock to shove up into your anal cavity.)

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Registered users
Post Re: Else-kun Laughs @: Intelligent Design by Rael
i don't feel like reading the whole thing right now but if i'm understanding correctly it's Scientology + Bahá'í faith?
(if you've never heard of the Bahá'í faith here's something to get you started) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1'%C3%AD_Faith

1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
Post Re: Else-kun Laughs @: Intelligent Design by Rael
arch_enemy wrote:
i don't feel like reading the whole thing right now but if i'm understanding correctly it's Scientology + Bahá'í faith?
(if you've never heard of the Bahá'í faith here's something to get you started) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1'%C3%AD_Faith

Nope.~

More like Scientology + Fundamental Christianity.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]