Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Sugar, Health and Politics 
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
Post Sugar, Health and Politics
A point of interest of mine for a little while now since I saw "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" and it came up in another internet discussion recently where someone referred me to even more information on the subject.
As it turns out, sugar, particularly fructose and sucrose, are bad for you. Like really bad for you. Like you know all those bad things other foods cause? Bull shit, it's actually the sugar.

That's a slight exaggeration. There are still other things that are bad for you, and things that are worse for you than others. Even with sugar, if its consumed with the right amounts of other things, like fiber, won't kill you. And of course some sugars, like glucose, are necessary in particular forms of consumption and at particular levels.

In any case, here's some rather long and detailed information for you guys to think about. All of it is long, but I personally found it interesting, partially because I'm a sciencey kinda guy, and partially because I'm interested in figuring out how nutriten works since all the conflicting messages that are sent to us doesn't make much sense.

Link

Link

Link

Now, I also mentioned politics, because a lot of those mixed messages are due to and given by various governments with public health concerns. A lot of the information that comes from the government gets widest propagated through schools, public media and even doctors and other news outlets. And the info from the government is often the worst, though most trusted because it seems to have the least vested interest from companies that pay for skewed results. Except at least in the U.S., and much of the rest of the world, the government agencies that deal with this kind of stuff are often tied to agriculture departments which are tied to food producers and companies that have a vested interest in the matter. And sometimes the whole investigation step is skipped and instead you end up with lawyers and politicians setting ideas without even consulting research or doctors.

At the same time, even with good information, they sometimes feel informing is not enough. I know sugar isn't great for you, but I also don't think the government should be trying to influence our consumption of it by either banning it or taxing it. Where I live, recently it came up that the government wanted to start taxing any kind of sugary drink, from soda, to sports drinks, to juice, to flavored water. Now, I know the companies sponsering the ad campaigns had a vested interest in the matter, and I know sugar is bad, but I still don't think it's the governments place to restrict it through taxation. It may be the governments place to give out appropriate information on the matter, or to regulate how much sugar they put into the foods they provide in schools or elsewhere (though whether they should be involved in schools is another discussion), but not to coerce people through taxation or banning the stuff.

So, wide discussion. I don't aim for this to be specifically about the politics as I think the science and health aspects are also interesting.

Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Rookie
Rookie

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Post Re: Sugar, Health and Politics
processed sugar
IS FUCKING Poison

fruit/natural sugar is wonderful

however, you can have too much at times although i have eaten 15 bananas in one sitting and did not die

you want a diet of
40% leafy green veggies
40% fruits
Fats
soaked nuts
seeds
avocado
olives
coconuts

don't get hung up on the percentages as much go with that in the beginning
but as you develop more of a sense of what your body needs
go ahead and give it.