Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Conflict in Ukraine. 
FH Clairvoyant
FH Clairvoyant

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Special Access
Post Conflict in Ukraine.
So my countrys neighbourhood is getting hot and slowly developing into bloodbath. People zerg-rushing on government is never a good sign...
Anyway, I'm interested in others opinions.
As for myself, I've got one proverb that I'm very fond of: "A just war is better than an unjust peace".

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:25 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Post Re: Conflict in Ukraine.
Why'd it start again? Cold war? EU vs Neo-Soviets?

4 pcs.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:07 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: 1991
US news has been saying it's about an oppressive government and they keep calling what appears to be a violent uprising simply a protest. The US media is definitely on the side of the, "protesters." I don't have an unbiased view, but from the little I've seen, so am I. But since I'm not there, I'd like to hear more about it from the view of someone who might be closer to it.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 pm
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
If the media of the United States is on the side of the protestors then I'm against them. History has shown too often that media is the puppet of the "war for profit; peace for profit" powers that be. It's sad that so many people trust what they see in the news without stopping to notice the flow of money. I'm sure you'll find the war to be as unjust as the peace, I fear.

In just under one-thousand eight-bit bytes I have to confer some glorious shrine to myself by means of text, images, hyper links, embeded flash compositions and possibly formatting. I could abuse this easily. Ten hour clips on youtube embeded in a single vertical stack. Multi-megapixel long transparent GIFs causing scrollbar hell. Nuero-linguistic programs that fuck your mind like a fresh squid. Eye raping color schemes using ascii full-width blocks. Images or links to images of things that can not be unseen. Anything called "epilepsy" dot SWF. This is what I want to do. I am not a good person. I just know that would be a flagrant display of disrespect. I'll wait until I can get away with it.
NOW IN GLORIOUS TODD A.O.!
fluffco™ LLC takes no responsibility for anything, ever, at all, under any circumstances and is entirely fictional outside Colorado.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:46 am
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Isn't it more about the EU vs. Russia, rather than the US vs. Russia?

4 pcs.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:04 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
As far as I know, it is EU vs. Russia. I doesn't mean the US aren't on the EU side of this.

It was reported here that it begun by the people wanting Ukraine to join EU, while the current government being more politically more aligned with Russia than with West Europe. So, it seems, its more like people vs. government with EU vs. Russia background.

That said, I'm with fluffy on this: there is no 'just' war. Noes. None. Never had one. Most of the ones that seem fair have some kind of secondary benefit to someone, be it oil, political influence, economic influence or something else. If I'm wrong, I'd love to be shown something on the last 20 years or so than is not like that.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:

Bank:
From what I've heard from the news, the government of the Ukraine has too much power in his hand, which is why there's a protest
and everything started because the protestors wouldn't stop protesting and the president of the Ukraine wouldn't back down.
And then the 'riots', too put it softly, began. Wounded were piling up, because the police and army were sent to protect the government,
but not all wanted to protect the government, some wanted change and help the protestors.

It all became worse and worse, and people began to die, but it wasn't until sharpshooters (read snipers) were used by the government (as read in the media here)
that the dead toll rose sharply from a few too a lot ( around 70 dead, last I heard). The sharpshooters were shooting innocent people, so the EU or UN took action and
froze the accounts (the resources they have from the EU) of the government (the one's responsible) and blocked their visum. It's actually horrible, but from what I've read in the media, the current president of the Ukraine has left his post, so there shouldn't be any president now, and the government (the ones on the side of the protestors) are arranging everything for a new election.

All of the above is as I read it in the media, where I'm from, so correct me if I'm wrong.
I could have read or interpreted something wrong, for that I apologise.

Edit:
And yes, it's because the Ukraine, most part of them anyways, wanted to join the EU, but the president didn't want that.
That's the main cause of the protest, but also because the president has too much power, with the current laws that they have there.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
I can not tell a lie (this is horseshit): I didn't even know there was anything happening. I'd be totally guessing at anything I say on the subject. I'm engrossed in myself and can barely see my clothes for as infatuated I am with myself.

That being said, having read the thread I submit that the president is acting in the best interests of his country and the "the people" (those purported as the "majority" in the media) wanting this thing are, in fact and contrary to the media, the small minority that was tricked into wanting this the same way Americans were tricked into thinking they wanted Obamarama.

If you want to hear the real story you'll need to talk to the people on the street. Media is lies and their puppets are fools. If the shoe fits, you're wearing sandals to a ballroom dance.

In just under one-thousand eight-bit bytes I have to confer some glorious shrine to myself by means of text, images, hyper links, embeded flash compositions and possibly formatting. I could abuse this easily. Ten hour clips on youtube embeded in a single vertical stack. Multi-megapixel long transparent GIFs causing scrollbar hell. Nuero-linguistic programs that fuck your mind like a fresh squid. Eye raping color schemes using ascii full-width blocks. Images or links to images of things that can not be unseen. Anything called "epilepsy" dot SWF. This is what I want to do. I am not a good person. I just know that would be a flagrant display of disrespect. I'll wait until I can get away with it.
NOW IN GLORIOUS TODD A.O.!
fluffco™ LLC takes no responsibility for anything, ever, at all, under any circumstances and is entirely fictional outside Colorado.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
I was wondering; does Ukraine have any natural resources enough to make Russia want closer ties?

4 pcs.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:29 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
YomToxic wrote:
I was wondering; does Ukraine have any natural resources enough to make Russia want closer ties?

Quick search through google finds this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_ ... _resources

Oil, arable land, and a bunch of other stuff? Seems a good reason for those closer ties!

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
FH Clairvoyant
FH Clairvoyant

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Well as I know first hand let me elaborate a little on the topic.
Ukrainiasns hated their government for a long time, the uprising was only the breaking point of already lots of boiling blood over the time. Crushing opposition trough political police or trough reasons that exceed beyound the law was nothing new (example:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titushky).
I think I wont go too far saying it was almost like dictatorship, but the government of Ukraine was only puppet of Russia, so joining UE would be like a bitchslap to Putin.
It was not an option. There's a lot of Ukrainians in my country for example, they could see and compare who's help (UE or Russian) is more beneficial and that's the reason they could let it pass. That's how conflicts such as this one are born - two sides that cannot back down because of the dire consequences.
Ukraine kind of reminds me of my country not long before I was born when it still was a post-communist country. When our government was in exile, pro-Communist coalition in Moscov "gave" us our new government. On paper our country was sovereign and we had elections but everything was one big fat lie. It ended up in simillar way it's right now with Ukraine. Tho our situation was a lil bit worse since it ended with a martial law but succeded nevertheless.
I think that both our countries were pretty goddamn lucky. In case of Poland the thing that stopped Russian "peacemakers" (meaning army) from crossing our borders was a deal made by Stalin to Churchill and Roosevelt that whatever happens he cannot interfere with our affairs directly.
I think that in case of Ukraine it were the olympics, everyone looked at Russias hands.
When I first saw what's going on my thought was that Ukraine is going to be split in two (pro-UE and russian) kind of the same way but less extreme as Korea. Fortunately they somehow managed to end it quickly before puppet government had the chance to request for aid from their russian comrades. I can guarantee that 70 casualities is really lucky number (considering what could have happned).
perhaps not many of you know that but the day the protests turned into uprising was supposed to be a day for peaceful debate but (that's mine speculation) generaly government agreed so they could have the time to distribute / switch their law and enforcement forces to normal firearms (live ammunition). Anymway that's what was going on. Not mentioning sniper squads on roofs.

It wasn't wise but well, if you always play safe - you don't play at all.

To put it simply puppet government + citzens denied chance to live better + good opportunity = uprising

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:28 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 1
Level 1

Cash on hand:
Well, Resilence, I'm a few thousand kilometers too far to be that specific, but, when I was conjecturing about political and economical influence, that's pretty much it. In the same way that all military dictatorships in Latin America in the last century were sponsored by US money to stop leftist governments in the Cold War.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
So, Ukraine's government has fallen.

Is it true they found expensive cars and stuff hidden in warehouses?

4 pcs.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:21 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
FH Clairvoyant
FH Clairvoyant

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Apperently so, but well, every president (no matter how small or poor his country is) is pretty much wealthy person.

Well, I guess with small exception of the president of Uruguay, which donates everything for charity.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
So, what happens now? I think Russia's gonna have to withdraw from this round.

Since the PROTESTORS set up a new cabinet and a temporary government.

4 pcs.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next