Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Data collection halp 
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Data collection halp
Hello Forkheads I figured this was a wonderful place to get a good critique on this subject.

I am currently taking a Data Collection class and need to do a survey or interview ETC. for my final essay, I have decided on a survey as my research method.

The Topic? Video Game Game-Play.

Information Letter: This research data is being collected purely for the purpose of figuring out which game-play aspects people like. you are only asked to complete 5 sections (20 questions total), the research will be used in an academic essay for a student enrolled in the University of Edinbugh and is available to others who wish to use the data for game development purposes.

By answering this post you acknowledge that I have informed you about the following spoiler wrapped information:
Spoiler: show
Consent to Participate in Research
Exploring Peoples interest in video-games and their game-play over time.
(Postgraduate students of University of Edinburgh)

Introduction and Purpose
I am a postgraduate student at the University of Edinburgh in the School/Department of Humanities and Social Science. I would like to invite you to take part in my research study, which explores opinions of people who play video games, with the topic being the progression of game-play over time.

Procedures
If you agree to participate in my research, please continue on to the survey questions and post "I AGREE". The interview will involve questions about your perspective of video games and their game-play over the entire history of video games.

Benefits
There is no direct benefit to you from taking part in this study.

Risks/Discomforts
Should any of the research questions cause discomfort or upset you, you are free to decline to answer any questions you don't wish to, or to stop the survey at any time. As with all research, there is a chance that confidentiality could be compromised; however, we are taking precautions to minimize this risk.

Confidentiality
Your study data will be handled as confidentially as possible. If results of this study are published or presented, individual names and other personally identifiable information will not be used unless you give explicit permission for this below.

To minimize the risks to confidentiality, we will screen any information carefully and both omit names that you wish to keep confidential from the study and notify you privately that you posted a name so you can remove it if you desire.

When the research is completed, I may save the posts for use in future research done by myself or others. I will retain these records for up to [Unknown] months/years after the study is over until the information is no longer needed for my research project. The same measures described above will be taken to protect confidentiality of this study data.

Compensation
You will not be paid for taking part in this study.

Rights
Participation in research is completely voluntary. You are free to decline to take part in the project. You can decline to answer any questions and are free to stop taking part in the project at any time. Whether or not you choose to participate in the research and whether or not you choose to answer a question or continue participating in the project, there will be no penalty to you or loss of benefits to which you are otherwise entitled.

Questions
If you have any questions about this research, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at joshex1@yahoo.com.

If you have any questions about your rights or treatment as a research participant in this study, please contact the University of California at Berkeley’s Committee for Protection of Human Subjects at 510-642-7461, or e-mail subjects@berkeley.edu.

CONSENT

If you agree to participate, please say so. You will be given a copy of this form to keep for your own records.

If you wish to participate in this study, please post "I AGREE" in your post, thanks!

Thank you!

Please see the survey questions below in the Spoiler and answer them as you are able to. If you do not have an answer just mark it blank with a '-'. Please take your time, the more you express yourself the better, as always feel free to edit your post at a later time, I will collect the data on the 25th of November.

Edit Note!: You are only asked to fill out 5 sections of questions, you may fill out more if you like, the survey itself was supposed to have a limit of 20 questions, (they just told me today) anyways, thanks for the views and respond when you're ready, the consent form can be digitally scribbled on and sent by pm if you want to sign your name but don't want it seen. Otherwise just use your forum name and attached it to your post via spoiler. I Need at least 5 people to do 5 sections folks!

Spoiler: show
1: What is/are your favorite type(s) of 1st generation classic game play (Action, Adventure, Classic Shooter, platformer, puzzle ETC.)?
1A: What system was it on (Arcade, Atari, Computer, Commodore, ETC.)?
1B: What was/is/were/are your favorite game(s) during this period?
1C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

2: What is/are your favorite type(s) of 2nd generation classic game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG ETC.)?
2A: What system was it on (Arcade, Atari, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega SG-1000/SG-1000 II, Computer ETC.)?
2B: What was/is/were/are your favorite game(s) during this period?
2C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

3:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 3rd generation classic game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG ETC.)?
3A: What system was it on (Arcade, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo GameBoy, Nintendo Virtual boy, Sega Master System, Computer ETC.)?
3B: What was/is/were/are your favorite game(s) during this period?
3C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

4:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 4th generation classic game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG ETC.)?
4A: What system was it on (Arcade, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gameboy Color/lite, Sega Genesis, Game Gear, 32x, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Playstation (original), Computer ETC.)?
4B: What was/is/were/are your favorite game(s) during this period?
4C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, racing wheel and peddles, rumble pack ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

5:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 5th generation game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG, MMORPG ETC.)?
5A: What system was it on (Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Gameboy Advanced, Playstation 2, Xbox, Computer ETC.)?
5B: What was/is/were/are your favorite game(s) during this period?
5C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

6:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 6th generation game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG, MMORPG ETC.)?
6A: What system was it on (Arcade, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, Playstation 3, Playstation Portable, Xbox 2, Computer ETC.)?
6B: What was/is/were/are your favorite game(s) during this period?
6C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles, motion sensor ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

7:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 7th generation game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG, MMORPG ETC.)?
7A: What system was it on (Arcade, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Computer ETC.)?
7B: What was/is/were/are your favorite game(s) during this period?
7C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

feel free to discuss answers, please mark discussions with red bold text "Discussion" in front of it for data collection ease.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Post Re: Data collection halp
wow a lot of studys showing up lately im in the middle of one about h-game players right now but i will have a look at this later

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Glitchy
Glitchy

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: פlᴉʇɔɥʎ¿¡Crime Squad
I have a question about the signature, and it will determine whether or not I help you. Talking about the signature itself, can we sign with our online alias? And do you have a more... accessible 'copy' of the form? Say, something that can be signed properly?

Oh fuck off

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Remon wrote:
I have a question about the signature, and it will determine whether or not I help you. Talking about the signature itself, can we sign with our online alias? And do you have a more... accessible 'copy' of the form? Say, something that can be signed properly?

it says in the consent form you can use your online alias, and yes I can send you a word doc or PDF, which do you prefer?

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:31 am
Profile E-mail
Glitchy
Glitchy

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: פlᴉʇɔɥʎ¿¡Crime Squad
Whichever is easiest to sign. You should leave a link.

Oh fuck off

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Remon wrote:

Updated with the official consent form (they just gave it) as a download, it's PDF just print fill out and scan.

Also for name just use your internet alias, for student name put "Joshex - Forkheads.net"

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 am
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
joshex wrote:
Also for name just use your internet alias, for student name put "Joshex - Forkheads.net"

inb4 banned in China. :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen

4 pcs.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
YomToxic wrote:
joshex wrote:

inb4 banned in China. :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen

lol I'm at a Scottish university so China wont be seeing it.

Please fill it out Yom! and Remon I hope this is adequate for you consent forms wise

I do need it by around the 25th so I have time to write the essay before the 10th

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 am
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
will anyone please help with this?

you can like scribble sign in photo shop or mspaint or gimp, and attach the picture to the pdf, or take a picture of the printed doc.

also I needs answers lol

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:39 am
Profile E-mail
Level 35
Level 35

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Registered users
1: What is/are your favorite type(s) of 1st generation classic game play (Action, Adventure, Classic Shooter, platformer, puzzle ETC.)?
1C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

In general, I feel like I like action adventure type games and also rpgs. The RPGs I enjoy as an escape of my reality. They provide a free-ness to explore imagination and dream for better things. These obviously got better imo as time went on. Early rpgs were pretty cookie cutter for the most part. After a while it just seems like math and repitition which is annoying and sad to me. However exploring new worlds and getting to experience "someone else's" story firsthand can be a really unique and insightful experience.

Anyway for this question specifically I guess I'd have to go with action.
1A: probably mostly Atari, with minimal arcade and some modern computer experiences that emulate the old school style.
1B: pac-man, asteroids, frogger, Dig Dug, Q*bert, Adventure. If I'm wrong on time periods then whatever.
1C: I love the music for dig dug when your walking. Not sure if this is a modern enhancement or not though. In the same way pac-man "gobbling" drives you to continue. Asteroids is just fun cruisin around. I feel like there's enough going on to keep it interesting for a bit and you move quickly so I guess maybe that makes one feel powerful? Anyway the physics in asteroids were cool as well. Frogger was somewhat more varied and challenging. It provided a clear goal aside from simply "rack up points" Adventure was interesting because it makes you think a little and you don't know where it's going to take you. Q*bert is very different and the colors and challenge are fun.

2: What is/are your favorite type(s) of 2nd generation classic game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG ETC.)?
2A: What system was it on (Arcade, Atari, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega SG-1000/SG-1000 II, Computer ETC.)?
2C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

2: I'll probably just default to my original answer. Something to note is that multiplayer experiences definitely add to games for me. Fuck pretty sure most of the stuff I listed for first gen is actually 2nd gen...You can figure it out lol. so I guess I probably didn't play much first gen. Also NES is technically gen 3. with snes being gen 4...

3:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 3rd generation classic game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG ETC.)?
3A: What system was it on (Arcade, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo GameBoy, Nintendo Virtual boy, Sega Master System, Computer ETC.)?
3C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

3A: NES
3B: super mario bros games with my family.
3C: the mario games handled challenge and variation very well. Also the adventure aspect of new experiences and not knowing what comes next. Being able to play with family made it more interesting. Discovering secrets and new ways to make it through levels felt amazing.

4:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 4th generation classic game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG ETC.)?
4A: What system was it on (Arcade, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gameboy Color/lite, Sega Genesis, Game Gear, 32x, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Playstation (original), Computer ETC.)?
4C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, racing wheel and peddles, rumble pack ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

SNES, Sega Genesis, Gameboy
4B: snes mario games for previous reasons. genesis for more action type games/challenge. Battle toads and there was this crazy one with fucking robots....idr. I remember being excited when I was able to jump a large gap though. Gameboy: pokemon games
4C: the challenge of the action games on sega and attempting to actually "save the world" or whatever is exciting. adventure stuff please see prev logic. The pokemon games were kickass. Good music, clear goal, interesting, but not too difficult puzzles. Raising pokemon and eventually feeling powerful and all that is pretty sweet.

5:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 5th generation game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG, MMORPG ETC.)?
5A: What system was it on (Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Gameboy Advanced, Playstation 2, Xbox, Computer ETC.)?
5C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

5A: ps1, N64
5B: final fantasy games, mario games, conkers bad fur day, starfox64, crash bandicoot, fighting force, spyro, tomb raider, metal gear solid.
5C: facing "tough" odds in tomb raider was cool story wise. I enjoyed bad fur day for being so different and hilarious. The games I cared about most were probably rpgs on playstation with an interesting story. Some of those rpgs made things seem so important, it was easy to get involved in a different world.

6:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 6th generation game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG, MMORPG ETC.)?
6A: What system was it on (Arcade, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, Playstation 3, Playstation Portable, Xbox 2, Computer ETC.)?
6C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles, motion sensor ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

6A: ps2, gamecube, xbox
6B: pikmin, final fantasy, shooters on xbox, Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime
6C: pikmin was really different and I can't quite explain why I enjoy the dynamic of taking care of the pikmin and/or existing with them. SOTC was just an amazing and epic game imo. Fantastic music, interesting gameplay, made it feel like you were doing something important. Prime also had great music and extremely varied gameplay. Fun puzzle solving in all. Amazing adventures in interesting environments. Virtual vacations if you will. Oh also GTA: San Andreas was just fun and gave a lot of freedom.

7:What is/are your favorite type(s) of 7th generation game play (Action, Adventure, Fighter, Racing, Action/adventure, puzzle, RPG, MMORPG ETC.)?
7A: What system was it on (Arcade, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Computer ETC.)?
7C: What game play aspect(s), Story aspect(s), interface aspect(s)[ Multiplayer, light gun, racing wheel and peddles ETC.], and/or atmospheric aspect(s) [looks, music ETC.] made the game enjoyable?

7A: wii, 360
7B: halo2 with friends was amazing, I still play some rpgs on 360, but I think early on it was more about action/adventure. Wii fit, wii sports, mario kart, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Saints Row 3 and 4, Test Drive Unlimited 2, FF XIII, Dark Souls.
7C: while I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay/story of ff XIII, the environments are fucking amazing. virtual vacation. tdu2 was fun and free and could just cruise around and listen to the radio. saints row I played with others and it was very freeing and fun. Fire Emblem was fun to strategize (puzzle solve) wii fit offered a benefit to my real life. mario kart is a fantastic way to get a gf to play games. Dead Space was a ton of fun. minimal hud made it look very nice and helped me to feel more involved in the game. The "dark" nature made it interesting and the gameplay mechanics were different. Also the story was good for the first one. You didn't know if Isaac was fucking nuts or what the hell was going on. Dark Souls is challenging (makes you feel achieved when you win), has interesting enrironments, interesting enemies, an interesting setting with an interesting backstory, no direct story really.

8A: Computer
8B/C: haven't really played much in this gen. Nothing really catching my interest. I have a huge backlog of old stuff to go through and I can't justify spending the cash for the most part. I still tend to play older gen games to get my fix for social, adventure, and story reasons.

I feel bad that I forgot about a ton of games and left a ton out, but idk hopefully this helps you. might update in future.

Jewsus

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Jewsus wrote:

I feel bad that I forgot about a ton of games and left a ton out, but idk hopefully this helps you. might update in future.

Jewsus

Awesome, thanks for the reply Jewsus, I hope more people reply lol, right now it's just yo I need 5 people total lol.

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop

1. I was not intelligent enough to acquire and play games on the first-generation systems, but I barely remember getting a game CD with lots of games on it. I didn't have much to do back in those days so they were good enough for me. My personal favourite was an (indie?) game called Cyberdogs. I didn't know how to read back then so I cooked up a myriad of stories in my head as I played.

I remember playing Tempest 2000, and games from the company Epic Megagames. I guess even the 486 of 66MHz fame could do stuff back in the day.

1A: PC. It may have been primitive, but they built it with passion.
1B: Xargon, Tempest 2000, MinerVGA, Cyberdogs.
1C: I guess the things that drew me to the early games was their stories, real or imagined. And add to the fact I had nothing better to do.

2: The NES was my first acquisition of a console in 1995. Fished it out of the trash and fixed it myself. Hooray for solder! It was a time of economic reform - and the open market was starting to flood with cheap video games. I had a large variety to choose from; as long as I kept my finances in order. I had everything. RPGs, shootem ups and even ported arcade games.

2A: NES
2B: Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom), Guerrilla war and Castlevania series.
2C: By this time, I had gained enough rudimentary intelligence to actually read simple english - this proved to be a massive upgrade to my gaming enjoyment. As always, I chose to play alone. These games were the lone light in a life otherwise punctuated by sheer boredom.

3. The third generation would be the last series of games I would acquire for 2-4 years due to financial issues, but they still held some good memories for me. RPGs really outshone themselves on the 3G; The SNES, gameboy and the sega master system all had amazing rpg games that were advanced before their time.
3A: The SNES and the Gameboy were the consoles I owned. I learned about the master system several years later.
3B: Chrono Trigger(SNES), Pokemon(GB), Final Fantasy Legends series(GB)
3C: The gameplay, music, and story for many games was amazing; and even if they didn't have much of a storyline, it was fun to play them. The solid save-systems ensured that fun could be had even after starting the next day.

4. I didn't really get to own a console for the 4th generation, but I managed to find good games to play in the local arcade anyway. The Phantasy Star series was rollin' on the Genesis, and game gears were having a resurgence in popularity at the local community centers. RPGs and platformers were solid good fun. It was around this time that I learned of the existence of the Master System, SEGA's equivalent of the NES.
4A: The only games I got to play were the Sega Genesis and the Game Gear.
4B: The Phantasy Star series (Genesis), Sonic series (Genesis), Sonic series (game gear), Valis Series (Genesis), Shadowrun(Genesis).
4C: By this time, the RPGs, platformers and adventure games had continued to improve, both in graphical complexity and immersion; these 'fleshed out worlds' really made me feel like "I was in there". By this time, I was slowly learning how to make games, and having access to these 'prime' games proved to be of great help.

5. I did not own any 5th generation consoles, nor did I play any games in this era.

7. The Nintendo DS is the sole gaming system I have to show for the 6th Generation. I had a few flagship games for it, but it was more of a casualplay than the intense gaming I was so used to.

7. I have yet to get any 7th generation games. With the economic situation bright, I think that may change.

4 pcs.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:39 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
YomToxic wrote:
With the economic situation bright, I think that may change.[/color]

Awesomeness, glad to hear your game likes! that makes 2, need 3 more.

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
I need 3 more, Remon? Parpol? afh?

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
anyone? please lol getting rather close to the deadline. getting worried.

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next