Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 History class is harmful 
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
Post History class is harmful
History class is among the most useless, yet overrated classes there are, and it actually does more bad than good.

Let's start with why we, the people, have no use for it.
First off, our history is vast. I mean SUPER FUCKING LONG AND DETAILED vast. And different countries have different pasts. What country didn't participate in some kind of war at some point, or made some really famous literature a long time ago? Anyway, as we now have become a more global unit with the internet joining us all together, how much use do we actually have knowing that some guys fought for independence a long time ago, or that some failed artist killed a lot of jews? Not every country teaches you the same history, yet immigrants of any kind can handle just fine in environments where the natives were taught a bunch of shit about their country. As a swede I have next to no historical knowledge about japan, other than that there were samurais and ninjas at one point, but what kind of use do I have for that, living in japan?

I have never met a jew in my entire life. Why should I know that at one point Hitler tried to exterminate all jews. It does not benefit me at all! They say that people learn not to repeat mistakes by learning history, but, really, in that case, what we need isn't history class, but a research paper to back up or oppose moves we are about to do. And, really, what DOES it teach us to know that Hitler killed jews, then died? That next time anyone tries to kill jews, he should sound less scary so his henchmen actually tell him what's going on? ...Yeah, sure, that could be useful for someone like Hitler, but what he actually should read then is about human emotions and being more charismatic, not that some earlier guy already tried it, but failed. It's useless!

Let's move on to why history is actually HARMFUL.
Media uses history CONSTANTLY to manipulate people's thoughts. Right now, in Sweden, we have an immigration problem. Our women and children are being raped by "young" refugees that claim to be underage. There are 25 year old men with mustaches and beards among our 12 year old children. It is happening, and there is no denying. It NEEDS to be addressed. The problem is that as soon as anyone does, the next 10 minutes you hear will be about the fucking holocaust. Suddenly the issue is no longer about the open borders, people using the welfare system, people from other EU countries walking in here, and starts begging outside every store, or how living areas for refugees are being burned down (by the refugees themselves). It is now about how hitler is bad, and how suddenly this is the exact same fucking deal as the holocaust. What happened in history will probably never happen again, and knowing the history is not the reason for that. It's because we have more knowledge about our present, and what is happening globally today. We don't need to know "this happened this one time that guy did this".

This might piss of some Mmurricans, but guns should be banned. That's my personal opinion. But as soon as anyone brings it up to debate it's either "muh freedoms" or history that stops it. "We used guns to get where we are" and shit like that. But we're not the same as back then. This is a world where we don't need guns to start revolutions, but somehow the history argument shows up, over and over. It forces people make giant leaps in logic, and if we didn't know about the history of America (which like 90% of people in the world), this wouldn't happen. But people cling onto shit that happened a long time ago, which slows progression.

History is for people who enjoy reading about the past. It should not be mandatory in school. Replace it with a fucking "spot the bullshit" class where people learn to stop believing every single piece of information you get from the Media.

History is a tool by the media to control our emotions, and manipulate us into thinking they are correct.

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Re: History class is harmful
First off the gun thing: People will kill people even without guns, the problem is stupid people. In fact, given a situation that escalated to violence with only one gun or none at all if we see the same situation where everybody was armed and the possibility that "that guy will just fucking shoot me" there is an overwhelming body of evidence (actual things that have happened) that there was no escalation because nobody wanted to get shot.

I'm not going to really tackle the gun thing but I am going to say if I wanted to kill people I wouldn't let not having a gun stop me. Just because something is only useful to kill other people doesn't mean that not having it will stop people from killing people. I don't own a gun and would not hesitate to commit murder presented the opportunity.

History class is… wait, "class"? Like a 40 hour course? Why bother? Your point that history is vast is an understatement like no other. It's like me saying "the universe is larger than my house." History is so fucking complex and involved I can only say I know half a percent of record human history and I could take most Americans to fucking school about anything in American or world history. The history of computing alone could be a doctoral program; the world history would need to be contained by an entire college of multi-doctorate holding fellows all experts on small regions and everyone that ever interacted with them, the geological records, technological records, genealogies, climatological records and… it just doesn't fucking end. Just to understand how human language developed into this branched tree of mother tongues I had to study anthropological records and take into account regional adaptations and lifestyles. The cold weather in Russia shaped their language and so follows their thoughts and therefor their armies and that all contributed to them fighting off Napoleon which, if I bothered to explain it, is why America is called "America" and "Americans" speak English!

That's not even covering the French, British, Norse and tribal influences on the street maps of the city in which I currently live! Anybody that thinks they know anything meaningful about history still has so much to learn as to be ignorant of the subject.

And then we've got the future!

In just under one-thousand eight-bit bytes I have to confer some glorious shrine to myself by means of text, images, hyper links, embeded flash compositions and possibly formatting. I could abuse this easily. Ten hour clips on youtube embeded in a single vertical stack. Multi-megapixel long transparent GIFs causing scrollbar hell. Nuero-linguistic programs that fuck your mind like a fresh squid. Eye raping color schemes using ascii full-width blocks. Images or links to images of things that can not be unseen. Anything called "epilepsy" dot SWF. This is what I want to do. I am not a good person. I just know that would be a flagrant display of disrespect. I'll wait until I can get away with it.
NOW IN GLORIOUS TODD A.O.!
fluffco™ LLC takes no responsibility for anything, ever, at all, under any circumstances and is entirely fictional outside Colorado.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
Parpol, your eastern neighbor here.

I`m not sure if you could call history class harmful. Useless, hell to the yeah.
I`m not sure what I was supposed to achieve going trough them in school and they don`t even help you in any kind of job. Probably teaching but that is all they can help you at.
The shit is about to hit the fan in here. Our politicians are brain dead, money munching idiots who say that we are the bad people for accusing those who gangrape a 15-19 yo girls.
Luckily there has been some development, that the government puts military troops on the eastern border to ease the oncoming flow of refugees. Now we wait and see what our red giant on the other side of the border thinks about it. If they are still butthurt about our independence and let the nazis walk trough us to get them. I don`t know what the world thinks what happened between us and the Hitler then but in our books, it went like this. Nazis came trough norway to us, Finland and Germany were in war with USSR, they gave us supplies and we let them pass, when soviets became aware of this, Hitler proclaimed that we had an alliance, we made pact with soviets that they would spare us if we would banish nazis out of our lands. So we did that and then I fell asleep in the class.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Parpol wrote:
Right now, in Sweden, we have an immigration problem. Our women and children are being raped by "young" refugees that claim to be underage. There are 25 year old men with mustaches and beards among our 12 year old children. It is happening, and there is no denying. It NEEDS to be addressed. The problem is that as soon as anyone does, the next 10 minutes you hear will be about the fucking holocaust. Suddenly the issue is no longer about the open borders, people using the welfare system, people from other EU countries walking in here, and starts begging outside every store, or how living areas for refugees are being burned down (by the refugees themselves).

Wait, hold on there for a minute. Did anyone tell the people whining about the holocaust that the "refugees" hate jews, and yammer for Holocaust v2.0 for some unexplained reason?

4 pcs.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 38
Level 38

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Dev Team
fluffy wrote:
First off the gun thing: People will kill people even without guns, the problem is stupid people. In fact, given a situation that escalated to violence with only one gun or none at all if we see the same situation where everybody was armed and the possibility that "that guy will just fucking shoot me" there is an overwhelming body of evidence (actual things that have happened) that there was no escalation because nobody wanted to get shot.

I'm not going to really tackle the gun thing but I am going to say if I wanted to kill people I wouldn't let not having a gun stop me. Just because something is only useful to kill other people doesn't mean that not having it will stop people from killing people. I don't own a gun and would not hesitate to commit murder presented the opportunity.

History class is… wait, "class"? Like a 40 hour course? Why bother? Your point that history is vast is an understatement like no other. It's like me saying "the universe is larger than my house." History is so fucking complex and involved I can only say I know half a percent of record human history and I could take most Americans to fucking school about anything in American or world history. The history of computing alone could be a doctoral program; the world history would need to be contained by an entire college of multi-doctorate holding fellows all experts on small regions and everyone that ever interacted with them, the geological records, technological records, genealogies, climatological records and… it just doesn't fucking end. Just to understand how human language developed into this branched tree of mother tongues I had to study anthropological records and take into account regional adaptations and lifestyles. The cold weather in Russia shaped their language and so follows their thoughts and therefor their armies and that all contributed to them fighting off Napoleon which, if I bothered to explain it, is why America is called "America" and "Americans" speak English!

That's not even covering the French, British, Norse and tribal influences on the street maps of the city in which I currently live! Anybody that thinks they know anything meaningful about history still has so much to learn as to be ignorant of the subject.

And then we've got the future!

It's just my opinion about the gun thing. There are several studies about guns, and some are for and some are against. But the point is not about guns themselves, but how people tend to use irrelevant historic events to prove a point, like the fight for independence in america, which is harmful.

Yeah, history is complex and huge. But that doesn't make it any more relevant to our education. The fact that we all are taught different stuff, yet somehow end up with the same moral values and working societies show us that history is not needed. we have about as much use learning folktales in school.

And obviously I'm talking about elementary to middle school where they hammer in that shit. History could be part of high school if you choose to go for a profession that needs it. Like, I dunno... fucking historian.

NickzorX wrote:
Parpol, your eastern neighbor here.

I`m not sure if you could call history class harmful. Useless, hell to the yeah.
I`m not sure what I was supposed to achieve going trough them in school and they don`t even help you in any kind of job. Probably teaching but that is all they can help you at.
The shit is about to hit the fan in here. Our politicians are brain dead, money munching idiots who say that we are the bad people for accusing those who gangrape a 15-19 yo girls.
Luckily there has been some development, that the government puts military troops on the eastern border to ease the oncoming flow of refugees. Now we wait and see what our red giant on the other side of the border thinks about it. If they are still butthurt about our independence and let the nazis walk trough us to get them. I don`t know what the world thinks what happened between us and the Hitler then but in our books, it went like this. Nazis came trough norway to us, Finland and Germany were in war with USSR, they gave us supplies and we let them pass, when soviets became aware of this, Hitler proclaimed that we had an alliance, we made pact with soviets that they would spare us if we would banish nazis out of our lands. So we did that and then I fell asleep in the class.

Our fucking politicians cried on TV because they were forced to start border control, lol.

YomToxic wrote:
Wait, hold on there for a minute. Did anyone tell the people whining about the holocaust that the "refugees" hate jews, and yammer for Holocaust v2.0 for some unexplained reason?

they did, but anyone pointing that out is "Islamophobic".

OLD VERSION, BITCHES!

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Parpol wrote:
YomToxic wrote:

they did, but anyone pointing that out is "Islamophobic".

So lemme get this right; they want to talk about the holocaust to defend a bunch of immigrants who consider it manifest destiny to holocaust everyone who doesn't believe in their gods.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20023478

"A phobia is an overwhelming and unreasonable fear of an object or situation that poses little real danger but provokes anxiety and avoidance."

The so-called refugees rape and commit arson while draining taxpayer money. They are, thus - a very real threat, and deserves a reasonable set of countermeasures. The term 'islamophobia' is thus a very misleading term akin to the sort of language Vichy French would use to water down the Nazi threat.

4 pcs.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
And thus the lies shall be called truth and the truth; lies.

I could rant for hours here. but I'm starting to realize it's useless. no matter how much we rant it's silenced, we have no public voice.

the media is the real evil here. they are allowed to be non-neutral, judge and pick sides. that and encourage and escalate violence and crime. they are allowed to reword history and findings for thier own agendas benefits. an age of a network of lies so big that you litteraly cannot challenge it because there's just too many lies backing up any lie you oppose.

the history books themselves have been doctored, many facts of the world have been removed and replaced with propaganda.

guns, it's the rule of paper; it yu write it on paper, it can only affect people who swear allegiance to the writers. Criminals, gangs, drug dealers, illegal immigrants, they swear no allegiance except to what drives them. The black market is real. if you take away guns, only the bad people will have them. that goes for the government's lapdogs too.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:10 am
Profile E-mail
Level 0
Level 0

Cash on hand:
Group: Registered users
This is sounding like it`s going to be guerilla warfare if no one takes action.

Anyway, I wonder why would the politicians want to protect those sand-monkeys after what they have already done in our lands?
If they are scared to take measures against them, I think they are unfit leaders. Leaders should be strong, and know how the people feel and what they need.
If there is a threat on our doorstep and government does nothing, we would be doomed. But the people of the nation can stage a revolt and topple over the government and clean up their mess. That is the situation here in Finland if the guys on the top won`t do anything. I estimate that it will happen in the following 6 or 7 months if things won`t calm down.
The Finnish people are known to be somewhat offensive against foreigners, and it is true for about 40% of Finnish people, if not more.
I can sometimes hear my father cursing out loud when he is reading the news, I guess he is a patriot and fought wars and stuff. But I have never seen him that scary.
My thoughts on this subject is that, if it goes on for too long, I greatly fear what it is to come.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:19 am
Profile E-mail
Level 5
Level 5

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Arcade Corps
I agree with Parpol on this. I mean, very few times have I found an actual use for the things taught in my history class (or, social studies, it's almost the same thing but you learn about systems of government too). I won't really tackle the idea of it being harmful because I just don't have the proper insight to determine such.

Useless, though, I agree with. Pretty much for the same reasons as mentioned above by both Parpol and the replies. I believe what we should do is not use history as a class, but rather use it as a means of teaching other lessons, similar to how people tend to do book reports in writing class. For instance, a student is given a writing assignment to talk about how significant events in history have affected us in the modern day. The student can therefore get a glimpse of history, is given the opportunity to learn about a period of the past, and be able to demonstrate their knowledge of the time period in a way that is not meant to distract from issues in the modern day or liken them to past events (after all this is not a part of the assignment, and the instructor could negate points for doing so). This is just one potential idea, and I'm sure someone could probably come up with more examples in which historical events could be used in writing classes. Of course, this wouldn't be a valid source of evidence for logic-based papers, as this would technically be a form of testimony or even anecdote depending on the source consulted, and any form of evidence for actual phenomena would probably only be linked to the period because it was scientifically discovered at the time.

I dunno, I just wanted to add my two cents. Again, the majority of what I'd say on this issue was covered in the opening post.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Pandemonium
On the matter of history classes, I'll bring up an use that some people might have overlooked: to people like me it's genuinely fascinating and fun to learn about. This means it gave me SOME sort of incentive to be invested in school and not drop-out. Likewise, I've had a biology class, and even a class that had us build electrical circuits at some point. Both of these classes have been long forgotten and never served any use in my life, but they were -interesting- and kept me invested in going to school at all and endure the boring-ass classes.

On the matter of guns, I'm sorry but I think bans are idiotic. If someone is ready to break what is like, one of the most sacred of laws to murder you, they will have no qualms whatsoever breaking much lesser laws to acquired illegal weapons. All bans really achieve is prevent proper law-abiding citizens from getting a means of defending themselves.

1 pcs.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]