Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Importation. 
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Importation.
fucking aye aye cap'in.

I need a :pirate willing to be sent on an important mission. eventually.

If I ever start up a restaurant I need someone to be my own personal drug smuggler, but instead of drugs I want someone to bring me something legal called east coast USA hard shell clams (because these tiny asian venus clams are about as big as a finger nail and taste like sand.), and New Jersey Blue Crabs (because, jersey crab cakes Mutha fucka).

yeah.

so if and or when I do get teh money to start a restaurant here I'll be looking for unique things no one else has. it has nothing to do with legality, I've checked and importing live shellfish from the EAST COAST usa is fine. They import maine lobsters already and sell them for $40+ a lb. it's the USA shellfish companies that are being all ass-candy about it saying things like "I don't want to send my clams to china, so no I will not help you" or "blue crab populations are close to endangered due to climate change so we will not be sending them to china"

Well, fuck those Basspoles because I'm not thinking of being a dumb ass and doing repeat business at the expense of their fucking supply, I'm thinking of starting a breeding operation /HERE/ in tanks, all I need are the seeds.

so that's where you come in, I need a badass mutha fucker to pirate his or her ass over the ocean with hardshell clam spawn and blue crab spawn.

problem is I'm not set-up for it yet, but I figure asking ahead of time is a good thing.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon May 23, 2016 5:51 am
Profile E-mail
Level 39
Level 39

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Sysop
Post Re: Importation.
I'll contact Chaos. Real consummate professional chef, ya know?

4 pcs.

Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
YomToxic wrote:
I'll contact Chaos. Real consummate professional chef, ya know?

Did not know that, I am a real trained chef as well.

english teaching just pays more lol.

would be helpful if chaos knows any restaurant supply/food supply companies willing to ship live stuff to asia.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon May 23, 2016 8:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
First, this should not be in serious.

Second, why the hell are you going for Jersey Blue Crabs? The main attraction is Maryland Blue Crabs, though really most of them are from the Carolina's now and just move through Maryland (due to restrictions after overfishing/overcrabbing of the Bay).

Third, farmed fish are of far lower quality than wild fish, especially once you remove their ideal environment.

Fourth, they don't want to give you seeds for your operation. That's called competition. They also don't want to see shitty knock off products on the market ruining it for the real deals (like has been happening with white truffles).

Mon May 23, 2016 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Registered users
i can't provide those crabs but we do have crabs here in Louisiana and it's easy to catch them as long as i get decent compensation i wouldn't mind going and catching em' and shipping them to you

1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Mon May 23, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:

Second, why the hell are you going for Jersey Blue Crabs? The main attraction is Maryland Blue Crabs, though really most of them are from the Carolina's now and just move through Maryland (due to restrictions after overfishing/overcrabbing of the Bay).

Third, farmed fish are of far lower quality than wild fish, especially once you remove their ideal environment.

Fourth, they don't want to give you seeds for your operation. That's called competition. They also don't want to see shitty knock off products on the market ruining it for the real deals (like has been happening with white truffles).

first, yes it should because otherwise it would be discounted as something I'm just playing with and wont ever be serious about it. I'd get replies like "package in the mail bo, nao pay up", the spam language above was just to get people interested in the topic.

second, because my parents used to take us to new jersey in the summer for vacation, we'd go to the beach in cape may, we'd then rent a boat up in the tide marshes and made our own crab traps, we caught a lot of blue crabs and made crab cakes, I've since tried maryland blue crabs and they lack the same amount of flavor as jersey blue crabs, so I'm assuming they are slightly different species honed by their environment.

third, I know that, but these aren't fish, they are shellfish. clams for example can easily be farm grown with the same flavor, because they only eat a few types of plankton and don't really move much (moving is what defines flavor in fish), plankton define the flavor of the clam. just need to breed the right plankton as well. for the crabs, just gotta keep them in a tidal environment that entices movement. simply lowering the water level and raising it once a day will do the trick.

fourth, I never asked for seed, I asked for the adult crabs and clams, they are anti-china because "china stole all the jobs, and china bans west coast USA shellfish over environmental concerns so fuck'em".

arch_enemy wrote:
i can't provide those crabs but we do have crabs here in Louisiana and it's easy to catch them as long as i get decent compensation i wouldn't mind going and catching em' and shipping them to you

are they blue crabs or gulf crabs?

shipping is the hard part too, apparently shipping lobsters or crabs has the risk of them dying of stress or lack of food (and need to be shipped in 3 days or less, typically they fly them directly in person and even that 11-28 hour flight is rough on them) or their flavor being tarnished by stress chemicals at least. apparently they also keep them in refrigerated hibernation so they are less active and less effected by the pressure drop of flying.

hence why I need someone willing to make the trip in person to do a hand off. in our case, we'd be civilians so shipping a lot of liquid is out of the question, we're limited to 3ml? or 3oz? containers, so seed is the best we can hope for.

HOWEVER, I'm aware we can buy seamonkeys (dried shrimp eggs) that will actually grow when added to a proper brine, I'm wondering if we can get the seed for hard shell clams and blue crabs that way, that could definitely be shipped, I'd need some plankton seed that they feed on as well, then I can feed the crabs fish bits when they get older.

but shipping live crabs and clams to china, not sure how that would work lol. definitely not gonna work through normal shipping companies, unless they have live shellfish shipping services.

for raising them I could probably use a deep plastic kiddy pool to start with, till I can get more advanced to building a proper tank with plexiglass or something.

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue May 24, 2016 11:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 7
Level 7

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Group: Registered users
i had to google it but it seems they are blue crabs... though if in fact the only way to get them to you is me bringing them well... i can't afford to travel... it would take (at what i currently make per week before expenses) about 4 1/4 months to have enough saved to get there and back

1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 am
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
arch_enemy wrote:
i had to google it but it seems they are blue crabs... though if in fact the only way to get them to you is me bringing them well... i can't afford to travel... it would take (at what i currently make per week before expenses) about 4 1/4 months to have enough saved to get there and back

yeah, it's expensive. if I really get to doing that though, I'd cover the trip expenses.

for now I suppose the first course of action to research is the cheapest, shipping the dried fertilized eggs (and if that can be done with clams and crabs without killing them as it can be done without killing shrimp.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-Monkeys

the process is apparently called Cryptobiosis.

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:31 am
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
I'm not so sure it's possible. and would be time consuming and possibly expensive and or hard. sigh, looks like developing a propper shipping apparatus for live shellfish is the way to go. I have been reading up on methods to grow them in captivity and believe there is a way to create a self-sustaining closed-ecosystem tank for clams at least. shouldn't be too hard from what I've been reading just need simple materials.

I'd have to include a pump valve system to keep the water in while letting in new air and purging spent air. they feed off phytoplankton so getting seed for those seems to be what I should look into as well.

I might have to make and ship a tank to be filled with clams and sent back. as for crabs I haven't studied them enough to know what the best shipping containment method would be yet.

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Wed May 25, 2016 2:39 am
Profile E-mail
Level 19
Level 19

Cash on hand:
Group: Oldies
joshex wrote:
n0th1n wrote:

first, yes it should because otherwise it would be discounted as something I'm just playing with and wont ever be serious about it. I'd get replies like "package in the mail bo, nao pay up", the spam language above was just to get people interested in the topic.

second, because my parents used to take us to new jersey in the summer for vacation, we'd go to the beach in cape may, we'd then rent a boat up in the tide marshes and made our own crab traps, we caught a lot of blue crabs and made crab cakes, I've since tried maryland blue crabs and they lack the same amount of flavor as jersey blue crabs, so I'm assuming they are slightly different species honed by their environment.

third, I know that, but these aren't fish, they are shellfish. clams for example can easily be farm grown with the same flavor, because they only eat a few types of plankton and don't really move much (moving is what defines flavor in fish), plankton define the flavor of the clam. just need to breed the right plankton as well. for the crabs, just gotta keep them in a tidal environment that entices movement. simply lowering the water level and raising it once a day will do the trick.

fourth, I never asked for seed, I asked for the adult crabs and clams, they are anti-china because "china stole all the jobs, and china bans west coast USA shellfish over environmental concerns so fuck'em".

arch_enemy wrote:

shipping is the hard part too, apparently shipping lobsters or crabs has the risk of them dying of stress or lack of food (and need to be shipped in 3 days or less, typically they fly them directly in person and even that 11-28 hour flight is rough on them) or their flavor being tarnished by stress chemicals at least. apparently they also keep them in refrigerated hibernation so they are less active and less effected by the pressure drop of flying.

hence why I need someone willing to make the trip in person to do a hand off. in our case, we'd be civilians so shipping a lot of liquid is out of the question, we're limited to 3ml? or 3oz? containers, so seed is the best we can hope for.

HOWEVER, I'm aware we can buy seamonkeys (dried shrimp eggs) that will actually grow when added to a proper brine, I'm wondering if we can get the seed for hard shell clams and blue crabs that way, that could definitely be shipped, I'd need some plankton seed that they feed on as well, then I can feed the crabs fish bits when they get older.

but shipping live crabs and clams to china, not sure how that would work lol. definitely not gonna work through normal shipping companies, unless they have live shellfish shipping services.

for raising them I could probably use a deep plastic kiddy pool to start with, till I can get more advanced to building a proper tank with plexiglass or something.

First, that doesn't make it serious. Serious is not a "I'm serious about this" it's a "this is a serious topic for discussion and debate". What you are looking for is no spam or a board that deals with business.

Second, unfortunately, most the blue crabs you get from Maryland in the last decade or two are really Carolina or Florida Blue Crabs, due to restrictions, but I hear you can find places that give the real Maryland crabs. Though, I can't vouche for much as I don't like crabs in general.

Third, I wasn't thinking of flavor myself, I sometimes prefer the flavor of farmed fish, but it's the nutritional value and quality that changes, and that will depend on environmental factors that can't be completely replicated in a small area.

Fourth,
joshex wrote:
I'm thinking of starting a breeding operation /HERE/ in tanks, all I need are the seeds.

And yea, they are anti-giving away their entire business.

Wed May 25, 2016 9:20 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
n0th1n wrote:
joshex wrote:
n0th1n wrote:

arch_enemy wrote:

First, that doesn't make it serious. Serious is not a "I'm serious about this" it's a "this is a serious topic for discussion and debate". What you are looking for is no spam or a board that deals with business.

Second, unfortunately, most the blue crabs you get from Maryland in the last decade or two are really Carolina or Florida Blue Crabs, due to restrictions, but I hear you can find places that give the real Maryland crabs. Though, I can't vouche for much as I don't like crabs in general.

Third, I wasn't thinking of flavor myself, I sometimes prefer the flavor of farmed fish, but it's the nutritional value and quality that changes, and that will depend on environmental factors that can't be completely replicated in a small area.

Fourth,
joshex wrote:
I'm thinking of starting a breeding operation /HERE/ in tanks, all I need are the seeds.

And yea, they are anti-giving away their entire business.

first, ok if loffy or yomu or someone can move it to no spam that'd be great.

second, meh. I might have to do somethin myself if I ever go back. but I actually want the clams first, but still not yet, just thinking ahead.

third, Not true. in japan they have successfully replicated the flavor and nutritional value of wild eel in farmed eel, what was the fix? putting them in a simulated river where the water is always flowing, it's them using their body that makes the chemicals which get into the muscles and are nutritious and tasty. for crabs, their natural environment is a tidal marshland (well the ones with the best flavor anyways) there is very little current in such marshlands, instead motion is instigated when the tide goes in and out. simulate that with a water raise or drop twice a day, given them a muddy/sandy mixed oceanic flooring, feed them the right diet, and bam flavor.

clams are easier (which is why I'd start with them)

fourth, but they didn't know that. I talked to fisheries about supply for a restaurant in china, they got all butt-hurt about it being china. only the lobster people treated it with any respect and insisted they already ship their product 'lobsters' to china and I would have to find and contact their operations in shanghai and/or hong kong to see about local shipping of /lobsters/, but they completely ignored the request for clams or crabs.

clams and crabs seem to be a topic people are butt-hurt about. it comes down to a loss of jobs because of china in those 2 specific industries on 2 separate accounts.

1; china has been selling chinese crab and clam meat to the world for cheap cheap ass prices, this put USA clam and crab companies in a bad spot and they had to fire people to cope.

2; west coast clams and crabs are actually an invasive species killing off local shellfish and other fish here in china (they don't naturally cross the pacific, they have to be brought there), some of them are endangered, so not only China but the world wildlife conservation people said /no more importing these as food/, so a lot of fisheries were selling their west coast and east coast clams and crabs to china because they are superior quality and Chinese people care about that over price, but when told it was an environmental problem and that their sales in the world fastest growing economy were in effect being halved because they could no longer sell west coast fish or shellfish to china, the fisheries got all butt-hurt and decided to completely cut off supply to china for east coast stuff too. kinda like "we'll show them!"

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu May 26, 2016 5:45 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]