Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Clones like Old Skool Zelda and Crystalis (Action) RPGs? 
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Location: PEARL HARB☠R!!! QUELL (PRETENSE OF) INSTIGATIONS (WARMONGERING), USURPATION, AND COUPS!
Group: Registered users
Post Clones like Old Skool Zelda and Crystalis (Action) RPGs?
First off, I want to say that action rpgs are technically still rpgs, even though there's a bit of action. I guess I am trying to sort through as much obscure titles that I missed, especially from the pc98ish. Tis a shame as a curator!

Yes, there's the fucking pokemon clone, I get it! However, I'm going for the more boring staple of (action) rpgs. I hope that I find something along the line for recreative potential. Remake or inspiration, I wouldn't yet know.

Zelda, old Zelda is probably the most well known of action (j)rpgs. Crystalis is more of a scifi, but I have to give kudos to the open world style and well written design in (npc) interaction. Okay, it's not that complicated, but you see that the developers churn in there! There's the Ys series, but I couldn't get into it just yet. I don't know why. It better sweat out details other than the visuals. Too roguelike? I think so.

---

Maybe off topic, but maybe related, there's Princess Athena from Athena, Knights of Xentar (it's not action rpg, but it's a rpg neverthess), Popful Mail, Rusty (a Castlevania clone), Act Raiser I and II, Briganty (a something like Rusty in a way, maybe even way better, a lot way better in many levels), and restrictly on Tales of Destiny I (I really like some aspects of the combat, but very controller competitive [I like the monsters for their details though!]). Oh, I almost forgot Dragon Pink: The Zero Castle. I would like to emphasize on the monsters. Never, played this one though...

Yeah, you don't have to stick it with just action rpgs. I think I give some direction in what I'm looking for. Oh, Stendhal is pretty bad, I dunno, but somehow, it's bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ChoSh.jpg, resident alien generation? Wow!
_
Regurgitator monster to be resumed
whatissk/moonie/washingtontimes=anti-armistice nazi instigator-usurper/tyherantno parasite/censorship/anti-neutrality embargo/siege fallen cheonson-ilminismist/ilminazmist/merciless 'they live' mein kampf machine/kal_flight_007 self-victimization
nsfw
Spoiler: show
Fraud Alert Renewal Month: 03, 06, 09, and 12
My ZDoom mods
Viva Le Resistance! (threat: see ☠Image☠ below...)
Metal tracking mods
sfw
https://archive.org/download/for_jihad_monsters/Lightning%20Exclusive%20Nasheed%20By%20Ahmad%20Al-Muqit.mp3

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Re: Clones like Old Skool Zelda and Crystalis (Action) RPGs?
Zelda for the most part is considered an Action-Adventure game. With a possible exception of Zelda II, though the other titles had some RPGesque elements, they really didn't dwell on it. The game is more about exploration and exploration hindering obstacles which require varied items to pass. most such obstacles are passed with interactive items which are useful as more than just a door key in example.

True RPGs focus on stats and leveling, and equipment is very "gear" oriented and laregly just effects statistical bonuses or looks or damage type or some combination of those. in Zelda in example you'll have multiple swords some times, but each changes the play style when using it, I.E. you can't block or throw magic bolts if you are using a specific sword, however gear switching is prioritized and done ona second's notice either from quick spam buttons, or from the pause menu. in an RPG, changing gear mid-battle is usually not allowed. also in an RPG the game is not so much about exploration as it is about story. in an RPG, items needed to progress into new world areas are in fact merely door keys and have no secondary usage in game, many just disappear after use.

In example Fire Emblem is an RPG map-based turn-based Strategy game.

For Action Adventure games, Metroid was one of the top dogs, from metroid 1 through 3 they really knew what they were doing. once the football jocks at retro studios got ahold of it they genericed it into a halo clone FPS, and there have been attepts to rectify that but most were met with stiff opposition causing them to fail or be way too linear to the point they are almost level based rather than an open world.. to this date there really hasn't been a definitive 3D metroid game taht honestly fits int he same rights as the original trillogy.

other than that, theres Conker's bad fur day, and Mario is pretty close even though it's level based. but honestly not many others. real Action-Adventure games are scarce.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Location: PEARL HARB☠R!!! QUELL (PRETENSE OF) INSTIGATIONS (WARMONGERING), USURPATION, AND COUPS!
Oh, so it's called a action adventure genre? My bad. I guess that certain roguelikes may fit the bill.

We're talking about Troubles of Middle Earth, Stone Soup, Zangband, Zorbus, Shadow of the Wyrm, and Tangaria. I haven't played Tangaria yet, it's multiplayer. To be honest, I wasn't too good on online rpgs. I think it was the update? No, it must be the etiquette rules. Man, I wonder if real life is more forgiving than game life? Man. Others may be Hellband, CataclysmDDA, Rogue Survivor, and maybe Wayward (it's more of a island thing, kind of like real life).

On online rpgs, which is not really action (rpg is adventure, right? I dunno, whatevers), but somehow still real-time, Stendhal is quite shitty. I mean, there's all those jrpg monster battle spites. Instead of using stupid (they just old, but still stupid) navigation sprites, a simple beautiful picture would do. There are plenty of them to go around! Just like those graphical roguelikes, you know? Crossfire is a good example, although, it's not diverse enough in a sense. Then there's the less graphical RPG World Online, it's quite the skill based rpg thing. Still, I like it as a boredom thing to pass the time when I was young. I remember the quests and training sectors, it's the ultimate monastery, slow go, slow go; I mean, the main world just have been mean, really really mean! Yeah, no one to help you due to noob access only. Still, that game have a pretty good navigation interface. Got interactive/ambient sounds too. That is its best highlight. This old ass game got a tech upgrade, but the download to the support files are just not readily there... OH, SITE AND SERVERS GOT HACKED B4; SERVERS CAN SHUTDOWN ON WHIM. HOW ABOUT ACCOUNT DATA? DELETE UPON WHIM? AND NO BACKUP? SUCH NOOB, wah. Oh, as of now, there's the new Wyvern I been meaning to try. It got functional navigation sprites, probably in various angle degrees. If not, it's cool. Good looking sprites and graphics at least, enough probably for a doom mod. Nevermind, something in the installation fucked up. Back to Stendhal, it somehow makes me mad that I thought about making a roguelike with jrpg monster battle sprites. I don't know I can handle the etiquette rules in a online scenario though.

About muds, I don't think I want to get onto that, again, it's still real-time though. Medievia, domina, and maybe even hellmoo, are quite immersive (or just detailed enough) in their own right. For timed-tic adventure games lacking a bit of graphics, they pretty good, holds up to the test of time. Typy typy required so take care of your health. The sparse interaction makes the etiquette rules almost non-existent. Nobody be around; it's almost like space, but your life must been like space.

---

What am I doing? Guess I'm going on a flashback, you know.

_
whatissk/moonie/washingtontimes=anti-armistice nazi instigator-usurper/tyherantno parasite/censorship/anti-neutrality embargo/siege fallen cheonson-ilminismist/ilminazmist/merciless 'they live' mein kampf machine/kal_flight_007 self-victimization
nsfw
My ZDoom mods
Metal tracking mods
sfw
https://archive.org/download/for_jihad_monsters/Lightning%20Exclusive%20Nasheed%20By%20Ahmad%20Al-Muqit.mp3

Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
I found another Castlevania clone that has a female hero. It's more Castlevania looking, but there are definite differences. Virustotal scan indicates no malware detection, details, and relations. The behavior is something to look out for. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Silver Night's Crusaders
https://trueroledreams.org/games/snc/st ... d_idioma=1

_
nsfw
My ZDoom mods
Metal tracking mods
sfw

Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]