Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Roguelikes that rock/SUCK! 
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Location: PEARL HARB☠R!!! QUELL (PRETENSE OF) INSTIGATIONS (WARMONGERING), USURPATION, AND COUPS!
Group: Registered users
Post Roguelikes that rock/SUCK!
I used to like roguelike due to my previous interest in chess. However, they do get long and sometimes frustration is still part of the game in terms of YASD or save-scumming. This is especially true for any game, even through you are talking about roguelikes.

Prevalence is fucking long and also difficult. The matter of difficulty depends on each title. I, for instance, don't really like the corruption rate going in ADOM. Elona is more forgiving than ADOM, but it reminds me of unpredictable corruption rate despite its warning and obvious corruption fog screen (damn, those towners sure know how to handle evil! [unless terra-forming and monsters do invade towns eventually]).

I like some variety and don't mind a eventually goal. Some favorites are ToME v235 (this is called the Tales/Troubles of Middle Earth theme, one of my fucking favorites; it has epic world traveling [with probably eventually monster leveling], endless food supplies to continue your game like those 90s Everquest/MUDs things, multiple dungeons, multiple quests, good/evil alignment, class/race choice selection, off references to shake the monotone theme up, and fun humor too [graphics included {the only gripe is that you cannot be anything of a summoner nor summon demons; becoming evil with evil god eventually becomes stat counterproductive, active prayer are the sole benefits, no, there is hardly active spells but a good stat turning move, stat eater if you will; you can still be evil warrior/necromancer/rogue/demonist warrior, blah; tons of quests if you don't mind mostly good/neutral/warrior classes, which works w/o error :( }]), Linley's Dungeon Crawl (I remembered playing this one for quite a time, most memorable; a roguelike alternative with sub-dungeon splits and true multiple class/race choice variety [text only, you can choose Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup {which I also like for the interface} for the graphical upgrade, but hardware graphics driver can boost up gaming performance for better speed, plus display rendering options not apparent]), and Zangband (quite basic fare, several dungeons and some world traveling. Oh yeah, some class variety, but not as good as Linley's Dungeon Crawl. World exploring and story possible, but not too detailed like ToMEv235. It's like the fucking mediocre middle. [Angband is only one dungeon {in Zangband, multiple dungeons are good till the main one, and endless food supplies {graphics too}]), and Xenocide (apocalyptic roguelike, with a emphasis on mutation; unholy science horror; very fucking thematic; you gotta love it!; short, but complete, wanted more, oh well).

There are other Tolkien roguelikes (First Age Angband [it's epic caveman epic, but the software tech is fucked up], Legerdemain [fucking detailed and mysterious in depth {now, I believe I can now afford some cluebook sharewareness; maybe I will like it again, maybe}], Medievia MUD [too much text adventure, nice description of world and its changes; no sims, just rpg {Dungeons and Dragons classic experimental}], Domina MUD, nice description of world and its changes; no sims, just rpg [too much text adventure {Magic of Gathering experimental}], Dwarf Fortress [don't want to manage another tycoon game, although I like some strategy games; the adventurer mode was interesting, but endlessly statical limited gameplay is forevers {not finished}], IVAN [was a bit fun, forgot about why I liked it {island theme? no, it was the chance to save/kill the colonial king among other things like a island prophecy (multiple goals); damn, there's got to be more than that, right?}], PrincessRL [it's girl power, bitch {career story length, good demo!}]), but the technical/complexity/development/duration matters is hindering at best. I might missed some future/sci-fi mentionables [like AliensRL [it's fucking Aliens dude! However, it's a short game and I probably want something more], DoomRL [which gotten a bit too hard for me to still like], Alphaman ["DOS" based end of the world game rebuilding like fucking rpg/sims, which might spell its doom {and it's fucking old or something like that; where's a game where you fight before and maybe during the end, godamnit}], Rogue Mercenaries [a short StarCraft themed game, like Starship Troopers, okay go get 'em and move out game, short {it's okay, but it sucks, lol}], Mutant Aliens! [another Aliens theme, but for assault than stealth; more StarCraft/Starship Troopers than Aliens {think of Rambo, but in space, or like Doom in the jungle!}], Warp Rogue [main access disappeared, but it's still out there; seems like the best in ally command intelligence in roguelike history, or I at least I ever remembered; you escape from a sci-fi prison tower, actually, you just fucking interact on a prison wasteland, like end of the future Zangband, if a bit more GTA interactive than sparse {world is smaller too; I fucking hate Warhammer 4000, it's like trying to be original, beat Aliens or Startcraft at something, then we'll talk}; you can get quests from people than dungeons; did I mention I like how the game matches up? Okay, I just remember being soldiers and killing all the dudes in the tower. From top to bottom, they are quite difficult to kill too. I remember sniping against a rocket launcher guy at the very bottom. That was the end, but I didn't know I was killing off the good guys at that time. Other than that, game sucks. Crashes, quit means delete/save game only, special weapons suck, mostly full map view with monsters just like pacman, interface navigation not being able to center so you can't see what you are running into, macros don't work, and you can't auto-run/explore so start tapping that button and fucking up your fingers! {still too simple and shitty quality to be like ToME v235; never finished the game, might have only played the old version, maybe}], Abura Tan [a mix of Lovecraft fiction, western, and industrial themes; like Xenocide, but more gunman than scientist {setting feels western, game is bugged/broken, I somehow can't enter a dungeon for some reason, exits when I do], and the most recently found Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead [just like ToME v235, but maybe in a more random kind of way; end of the world zombies roguelike; food source seems more limited now so lots of exploration with time running out; also, much more difficult stats; hadn't played too much, but damn, the choices, the choices [graphics available in stable release {CDDA is like, not exactly, Dwarf Fortress adventurer mode, but with sci-fi elements and actually more complete; sorry, I think I had enough of time rotting away in at least some strategy games, but maybe God forbid the rpgness/simsness and of its grindo, that's right, I said sim as in making stupid shit as a game, why not try make shit in real life as fun, should be quite the same; I got enough things to do}]), but nothing that could stand out for me.

I just put this put because some of the titles are defuncting, and defuncting fast (some websites still got them, but it's like one out of infinity in terms of legit files [I have to research the original publicated documents {by authors}!]).
And it's a useful game for times when you have to check numerous download/upload processes. Boring, lol.

BORING? YES. STORIES AND DESIGNS INTO A FINE LEVEL OF SCRIPTS AND SO ON? DEFINITELY YES! GREAT INSPIRATIONS/ASPIRATIONS! POSSIBLE. FATAL ERROR CRASH? OH YEAH!
OH YEAH, I WASTED TOO MUCH TIME (THE ADDICTION FOCUS RUN OFF)! WHERE DID THE TIME GO? THAT'S ROGUELIKE THOUGH! :(

SHIT, TOO MUCH TIME WASTED. AND YOU THOUGHT IT WAS A EASY PEASY EFFORT BUILDING UP AND UP. QUIT FUCKING WITH ME, I DON'T LIKE THAT, FUCK THIS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ChoSh.jpg, resident alien generation? Wow!
_
Regurgitator monster to be resumed
whatissk/moonie/washingtontimes=anti-armistice nazi instigator-usurper/tyherantno parasite/censorship/anti-neutrality embargo/siege fallen cheonson-ilminismist/ilminazmist/merciless 'they live' mein kampf machine/kal_flight_007 self-victimization
nsfw
Spoiler: show
Fraud Alert Renewal Month: 03, 06, 09, and 12
My ZDoom mods
Viva Le Resistance! (threat: see ☠Image☠ below...)
Metal tracking mods
sfw
https://archive.org/download/for_jihad_monsters/Lightning%20Exclusive%20Nasheed%20By%20Ahmad%20Al-Muqit.mp3

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
Location: PEARL HARB☠R!!! QUELL (PRETENSE OF) INSTIGATIONS (WARMONGERING), USURPATION, AND COUPS!
Post Re: Roguelikes that rock/SUCK!
Yeah, apparently RTS games suck compared to roguelikes. Look how much time I wasted! That's gonna be a bitch liner for my article. For the main content, I'm going to note my favorites, particularly the ones that you can finished w/o bugs. Bugs aren't a good thing. Will trash on my hated.

Yeah, yeah, different strokes for different blokes.

Still, roguelikes suck in terms of free time budget. Music is better in sparing time, snoring time too, lol.

_
whatissk/moonie/washingtontimes=anti-armistice nazi instigator-usurper/tyherantno parasite/censorship/anti-neutrality embargo/siege fallen cheonson-ilminismist/ilminazmist/merciless 'they live' mein kampf machine/kal_flight_007 self-victimization
nsfw
My ZDoom mods
Metal tracking mods
sfw
https://archive.org/download/for_jihad_monsters/Lightning%20Exclusive%20Nasheed%20By%20Ahmad%20Al-Muqit.mp3

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
OMG, there's some error in the Demonlogist class for ToMEv235. I can't summon anymore monsters at high Demonlogy levels for some reason. Yeah, this game bugged as hell. Yes, I cheated. I suppose that it's a straight classic down-to-the-roots class selection. Shit! Thumbs down, bitch!

I'm fucking pissed, but that's what you get from a game that doesn't respect summoner classes from a magical point of view. It's more of a nature runes point of view. Exception is the demonlogist with all sorts of demon supportive items and shit like that.

I guess it's only Linley and Zangband then. ToME would gotten a review, but if it's broken, it's forgotten cuz it would be a waste of time within a cluster of errors.

Okay, okay. I will tell the truth. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is my most favorites, but its graphics version requires some heavy graphics material; too much mouse usage, I guess. I guess I should taken the console one and be happy. Anyways, it's all about variety in class and some mix it ups in dungeon crawling. I am not too desperate about it until I found out that the original Linley's is extremely limiting. Zangband sounds great, but it cannot be as great as the either two ones. Would ToMEv235, but hell with the bugs, even if it came from cheating. Neat story and shit, but I hate the god awful elves, hobbits, dwarves thing. They are all unique, but like they really the same race with different conditions. Anyways, too much goodie goodie and orcs blah blah blah.

Oh yeah, console version of either Linley's or Stone Soup sucks in terms of player sight range. That radius is too fucking small for the big battles to come. Can't see all the bad guys with that scope! Expected to have more compensation over the lack of pretty graphics! I still hate Zangband though because of its mostly bad/bland map designs in either overworld or dungeons. The skills/classes to stack don't go too far. Well, I can still review ToME with both bad points and good. Guess I should gave the dungeon crawl bare bones a shot anyways.

*ToMEv235 Review Pointers
+Good Pointers
-Legendary mapping details
-Nice exploration of skills, items, and equipment
-Allows unlimited food supplies for the necessity to play game session as long as you want
-This is what a rpg should feel like!

+Bad Pointers
-Not all classes/choices will lead to victory over the ultimate end game. http://web.archive.org/web/20051231230247/http://wiki.t-o-m-e.net:80/Spoilers_2fLord_20Dimwit_27s_20Advanced_20Strategy_20Guide#head-b564de1250b1554695feb0be4f03ba813ca0285e
-No summoning by magical means (one requires corpse parts, the other is not so magical)
-Gods are strictly Tolkienians (that means evil god are evil [eventually eating some of your benefits] to you in some way)
-Cheating may or may not guarantee success with newly found items/powers.

*Stone Soup Review Pointers
+Good Pointers
-Strong array of class variation
-Multiple sub-dungeons

+Bad Pointers
-Graphical versions requires graphics hardware drivers
-Console versions made player sight range much smaller
-Food supplies are limited unless it feeds otherwise.

No wonder I moved away from roguelikes.

_
nsfw
My ZDoom mods
Metal tracking mods
sfw

Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Level 20
Level 20

Cash on hand:

Bank:
I just tried Zorbus, don't try it. It's like tomev2.35 in the end game. Everything becomes fucking hard. The game throws you in into hell, while you don't hunger, you fucking die off by out of place demons (starting around level 3). It's best if you had stealth to peek around. No, your 1 recruitable can't save you from fucking hell.

By the way, the window size is too huge for my screen. At least it looks good for a dungeons and dragons styling. I love the text bubbles though, reminds me of my other favorite roguelikes. Talk about alphas, huh?

Anyways, I'm sick of new roguelikes, the design went to hell. The only most completely developed (and adaptable) games would be stonesoup (actually, linley's due to current higher system requirement of screen/graphics [and interface got a bit more complicated]?) and maybe zangband. Otherwise, I am closing the roguelike trend for good, to forget about it. Maybe, I will get more time to do other stuff. The CataclysmDDA one is good exploration, but you need to do some wide screen imagination. I might try alphaman and hellband (that one is a gas).

linley, cataclysmdda (maybe too much management [your friends ain't smart enough to survive]), and hellband, sounds good. hellband first, it's easier, lol. maybe i'll check alphaman next. I won't try alphaman due to a ending turn timer. don't worry, they old. ONE MO THANG! BEST PLAYED ON THE WEEKENDS! THAT'S SOME FINGERWORK THERE, SON! Yeah, kinda gave up on it? Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

_
nsfw
My ZDoom mods
Metal tracking mods
sfw

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 am
Profile WWW
PostThis post was deleted by RV-007 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:10 pm.
Reason: What I listed was never a real roguelike, sorry about that.
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]