Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Keeping Live Seafood Research 
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Group: Special Access
Post Keeping Live Seafood Research
well I went to the beach and got me a shit ton of seafood an shit, got a shit ton of mussels (they're easy to take care of if you got seawater.

but I also got me a crab, and they aren't so easy to take care of. in fact without a professional aquarium the internet says crabs lobsters shrimp etc will die or some shit..

But I am currently researching how to take care of them by testing some theories, the crab lasted through the night so that's a good sign.

So, here's the current system:

a dry crustacean is an unhappy and soon to be dead crustacean. but a submerged crustacean requires an electric bubbler or they will eventually use all the air in their water and suffocate or some dumb shit.

fix?

simple fill a tall basin (so he can't climb out) with just enough water to cover the bottom half of the crab but not all of his mouth this way he is wet and can breathe. however his shell should not dry out! take piece of paper towel the size of his shell and soak it in seawater then place it over his shell (careful not to cover the eyes).

this system seems functional.

also you will need to feed the crab, for this seaweed and shellfish remains are good.

water:

no matter what ocean creature you've got they fucking need saltwater or some dumb shit. but table salt wont do because fuckall it's not the same as sea salt. the best option is ocean water collect it from the ocean while collecting shellfish.

you can also buy sea salt from the store and make extra water with seasalt, cold water and a blender. but you should mix the fresh made seawater with the previous ocean seawater because the ocean seawater contains plankton which help feed your critters.

pro tip get more sea water every few days or keep a separate stock and supply and add more seasalt water mix to it as you use it.

Filth:

Critters are fucking filthy and if the water smells it's not a good sign. you need to filter the water, at least once a day, a fucking towel is fine for this, just pour out each container once or twice a day and filter the water through a clean towel transfer over any seaweed or small crabs or shrimp from the towel. if you are changing out water from your separate stock, then pour the used water into your seawater stock so it can replenish with plankton.

that's the current system. and we'll see how well it works.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:35 am
Profile E-mail
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r
Post Re: Keeping Live Seafood Research
Look here comes a Ford Mondeo

The very image of a king

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Whalecum back 3mp4rx0r, j00 h457 833n m1553d.

the seafood has one problem, it smells. all those mussels shitting in the water. gotta keep filtering but even that ain't enough.

time to eat some. I separated out 40 mussels 20 periwinkles and 8 limpets for tonight's dining, they were placed ina clean vat of fresh low sodium saltwater (it's the best I had that was clean). they seem to be living in it but I had best double check later before assuming that low sodium table salt will work as a suitable replacement for sea salt.

also I put the salt in the water and use a blender to mix it. just another tip. I'll update this today as to say weather or not it worked, to be honest it doesn't matter for the creatures I put in the tablesalt water because they were only in it for a day so even if they died it doesn't matter, they were destined for dinner anyways. the baby shrimp are typically my gauge for if the water is safe for sea critters. yesterday the baby shrimp were swimming around in it from shell to shell when I put them in so I think it's ok.

mussels are also a good gauge, it they open and show their filters and when touched close that means the water is fine for them. as for limpets and periwinkles, if they suction on to things that is the best sign to gauge by that means it's perfectly safe for all ocean critters.

got any?

His name is not Robert Paulsen, His name is Gregory Matthew Bruni, he won so hard.

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 am
Profile E-mail
Level 22
Level 22

Cash on hand:
Conflicting test results, I got a false positive.

some of the mussels in the pure sea water tank died (like 4 of them), some of the abalone in the seawater died. the abalone in the table salt were unresponsive but alive, the mussels seemed unaffected.

I'm guessing the abalone were almost shriveling from the table salt so although it works to keep them alive, I would not suggest it unless you are going to cook them the next day.

pure sea water or water mixed with sea salt seems irreplaceable. also the crab got a meal today (the dead mussels).

I ate a bunch of once live mussels and a lot of abalone and sea snails so the experiment is largely over although the crab is still alive and well and there's still more of everything else but we'll probably finish it all tomorrow.

overall I think I have enough research data to know what works for keeping live seafood.

got any?

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:55 pm
Profile E-mail
ANTI-POPE
ANTI-POPE

Cash on hand:
Group: hanzo ord3r